TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Unhappy I feel like a failure in a bad way - August 27th 2017, 05:48 AM

God, I feel such a bad dog parent right now. Why does life seem to be throwing lemons and boiling water at me lately?

I am dealing with some financial stuff, for varying reasons. But, I can't get a break. Then all of a sudden my dog is having issues, issues that I believe require vet care and expensive medication or something. I though it might be fleas but it's not because I've been over his fur and don't see anything at all.

When observing him he began to itch to the point he cries out (I've sprayed water on him so he would stop as I did approach him to make him stop which, did nothing and water seemed like it stopped him) and then paying more attention it's more on his shoulders. I inspected his skin and found a little sore, most likely from his harness and nothing else.

Time passes and he is scratching more and more and watching him. But now it's his ears, head and face. His eye began to have green pus which turned white so I figured it's healing on its own and his eye wasn't red at all, it seemed normal but the green puss that turned white. Now, it's both of his eyes.

I think he has an ear infection cause he smells, his head does but his ear to me looks fine then his eyes are, I don't know what that is but it's not normal.

I am not ignoring the fact he needs vet care, it's the fact I can't fork out $200 or so for him at all this week and I feel stupid and trying to keep it on the low key so nobody knows, nothing. He is uncomfortable, I can see that, I feel too weak to call his vet and say, "hey, my dog is having issues that won't go away, the problem is, I don't have the money right now, I will in two weeks, is there away to bring him in and pay the vet examination and then have a balance owing and come back in two weeks to pay it?" I feel dumb in saying this and I am embarrassed to say the least. I do want to pay his examination which I feel is important but medication, I have no idea because I know some medication can cost less than a vet examination or more, or tests for an example.

This problem isn't going away, nothing has changed. I thought maybe it was me picking up crap dog food or dry skin, but I gave him a bath and it did nothing for his itching.

I know these things happen to everyone, but to me, it feels I have failed my dogs health care. It sucks. It hurts. I feel embarrassed and just, bad about it all. It's just, me going back in two weeks to pay his bill, to me it feels like I can't afford a dog (it's been bad for me that last three months let alone this month and me trying to do something nice for myself which is always hard but I make the effort to) but I never had this much of a issue with it (other than he had a deadly intestinal infection which happened out of nowhere but I was able to pay that within days, the left over bill) I can't get past me calling and being upfront about this with my vets clinic. I feel like a failure.

I can't even sleep because this is driving me mad and it's not right and I'm laying here feeling sorry for myself while my dog is sleeping in his crate. I don't have a question, I just feel like a total failure.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I feel like a failure in a bad way - August 28th 2017, 05:58 AM

I would suggest calling your vet. If they are not willing to make payment plans or something they might be able to direct you towards a vet who will. Another thing you could do is find a Animal Foster page on facebook. I have joined a few of these on facebook (all legit pages that friends of mine who are dog lovers and fosters etc are part of) and the people in those groups have been able to direct people on where to go for low cost vet care etc.

I know in one of the groups I am part of there was a vet who posted her information and explained that she takes payment in all sorts of ways. If people don't have money she will let them do work at her house or exchange goods etc.

There is definitely help out there when you are struggling to afford vet care but it can take time to find it. That's why calling your vet is a good first step. You might also be able to do a google search on low cost vet care. I know there is a clinic that does low cost vet care in my area. They only take appointments on Friday's, I believe.

You also aren't a bad pet parent. A lot of people have difficulty affording vet care especially when emergencies arrive. I mean, I have talked to people who have said that they have a decent income, own their own house etc and struggle to pay the vet bills. That's also why there are low cost vets out there.

Best of luck and I hope you end up finding something that works for you.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I feel like a failure in a bad way - August 31st 2017, 04:30 AM

Hey,

The thing about having pets is that, in situations like this, the pet always has to come first. Sometimes we have to put our own pride aside in order to do what's best for the pets in our care. For example, last year I had to take my dog to the vet twice in the space of a couple of months because she ate something she shouldn't - the first time it was a bag of chocolates*, the second it was some Christmas cakes. I felt absolutely awful because I should have prevented it, and I was worried what the vet would say. But when I took her in, they just treated her and sent us on our way without a word of admonishment - because their primary concern was the health of my dog, not in making me feel bad for having dropped the ball (not that I'm saying you've done anything wrong, this is just an example).

I think the same should be true in your case. There are a lot of vets out there who offer discounts and payment plans because they care about their patients so much. They shouldn't make you feel like a bad pet parent for doing what you need in order to make sure your dog gets the care that he needs. This is about doing the right thing by your dog, regardless of how you feel. And if you need a less sentimental reason to get him checked out: if you leave the problem and it ends up getting worse, it will likely be more expensive and difficult to treat. It's a lot better to get on top of these problems as soon as possible, even if that means doing something you would rather avoid (like asking to pay when you have the money).

You're definitely not a failure, but you do need to consider what's best for your dog. Plenty of people out there can't afford to pay vet bills out of pocket or immediately, and that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have pets. Sometimes things happen, sometimes at the worst possible time, and you just have to do what you can in order to take care of your pet. I hope this helped, and I hope you get it all sorted soon.

* Fun bonus fact: the reason my dog got sick after eating the chocolate wasn't because of the toxicity. It was just that it was so full of sugar and fat that she gave herself a stomachache.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: I feel like a failure in a bad way - September 8th 2017, 02:48 PM

Yesterday, I took Bentley into the vet. I explained everything to the vet and she was very understanding. I mentioned concerns and she checked him out top to bottom to figure out what was going on.

His ears were completely fine. Very healthy.

A little tarter build up on his back teeth.

No fleas.

So, it turns out he has allergies to something in the environment as certain areas of his body the skin were irritated and other areas were inflamed. Thankfully, he did not develop an infection as it could happen from scratching and such.

He is on some tablets for a week for twice a day, then once a week one tablet each day. Plus a scheduled shampoo and spray to help his skin build immunity to whatever is irritating his skin.

I did ask the vet if it would be food allergies. She said if the medicine or shampoo and spray don't work, during the winter he would need to go on some diet to test for food allergies which last 8-10 weeks. The vet thinks it is most likely allergies if so, then next year I can start early with the shampoo and spray so his skin builds up to defend the allergens.

The smell it's from his skin from the allergens he is reacting to.

Hoping for his skin to have a speedy recovery.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: I feel like a failure in a bad way - September 10th 2017, 10:41 AM

Glad to hear it all worked out well. Please take care of your well-being too, Bentley needs you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretatsyRemedial View Post
Yesterday, I took Bentley into the vet. I explained everything to the vet and she was very understanding. I mentioned concerns and she checked him out top to bottom to figure out what was going on.

His ears were completely fine. Very healthy.

A little tarter build up on his back teeth.

No fleas.

So, it turns out he has allergies to something in the environment as certain areas of his body the skin were irritated and other areas were inflamed. Thankfully, he did not develop an infection as it could happen from scratching and such.

He is on some tablets for a week for twice a day, then once a week one tablet each day. Plus a scheduled shampoo and spray to help his skin build immunity to whatever is irritating his skin.

I did ask the vet if it would be food allergies. She said if the medicine or shampoo and spray don't work, during the winter he would need to go on some diet to test for food allergies which last 8-10 weeks. The vet thinks it is most likely allergies if so, then next year I can start early with the shampoo and spray so his skin builds up to defend the allergens.

The smell it's from his skin from the allergens he is reacting to.

Hoping for his skin to have a speedy recovery.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I feel like a failure in a bad way - September 11th 2017, 11:03 PM

I'm glad the vet visit went well and that it doesn't sound like anything too serious. I hope you figure out what Bentley is allergic to soon so that he can start feeling better and you don't have to worry about it anymore. Thanks for sharing this update with us!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread