TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Unhappy My dog keeps puking..... - April 6th 2018, 01:03 AM

Hey everyone,

So, for the past couple days (like about 3-5 days), my dog has been puking every night and it is usually around the same time every night. At first, we thought it was this brand of ice cream my family gives him at night and we thought that maybe it was just that particular brand of ice cream. So, we had another brand of ice cream in the freezer and we gave him that one the next day and once again, he pukes.

My dog recently had surgery to remove two lipomas (one on his chest and one on his left side). I don't know if maybe he's puking because of that, but it has almost been two weeks since the surgery (it will be two weeks this saturday).

The thing I am having a hard time grasping is that he was fine the days after the surgery. We gave him a small amount of ice cream with his antibiotic crushed and mixed in with the ice cream. He never puked up his ice cream those times we gave him his antibiotic.

My parents are taking him to the vets this saturday as he gets his stitches removed and I am pretty sure they are going to ask the vet about this.

My dog does not puke during the day. It only seems to happen at night. For example, like tonight. We wanted to test to see if it may just be ice cream in general that seems to upset my dog's stomach, which is causing him to puke. Well, he puked...AGAIN at around the same time as the past few nights. Me and my parents are starting to get a little frustrated as we don't know what is causing my dog to puke at the same time every night. We know he hasn't gotten into anything he's not supposed to get into as we put everything in cabinets or high enough to the point where he can't reach it.

The only thing that me and my parents seem to think is that maybe since our dog is getting older (he will be 7 years old in September), his stomach can't just tolerate certain foods anymore.

Any help on what might cause this or anyone who has experience something similar to this with their own dogs will be much appreciated.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My dog keeps puking..... - April 8th 2018, 04:31 AM

Since it's the weekend now I'm thinking that your parents have probably taken your dog to the vet already; if so, feel free to update us on how he's going and what the result was.

If not, there are a few things that could be going on here. It might be due to the surgery, but unless your dog is still on medication for it then I don't think that's the cause as it's been a couple of weeks. Does your dog get fed once or twice a day? Sometimes dogs that are only fed once a day can develop issues where, due to their stomach being inactive for so long, they can have trouble digesting food. It could also be, as you said, that your dog is getting older and so his tolerance is lower, or he might still be stressed from the surgery and that could be affecting his body's ability to process food.

Another possibility is that it could be some sort of blockage. You mentioned that he hasn't had a chance to get into anything, but it could be as simple as his body not digesting some food properly one time, and then having that affecting his system. For example my dog once ended up with a blockage after forgetting to chew her food, which caused her to throw up every time she tried to eat after that. Once it was out of her system she was completely fine.

I won't venture too much into conjecture since it's likely your dog's been to the vet already, and hopefully they were able to find the reason behind your dog throwing up so much. In the meantime, try to make sure that your dog is drinking enough and always has fresh water available, and if it seems to get worse (e.g. if there's any blood in the vomit) then get him to the vet as soon as you can.

I hope this helped a bit, and sorry this reply didn't come before Saturday. Let us know how it goes, and if you need any more help.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: My dog keeps puking..... - April 9th 2018, 04:13 AM

The vet examined my dog really well and said that it could either be medications or fertilizers. Before saturday and early on in the week, my mom took the dog for a walk over in this field right across from our house. This field is right next to this church and the guy that mows their grass and does the landscaping for them was putting down fertilizer.

My dog, when he goes outside to do his business, likes to put his nose pretty much right on the ground sniffing for a spot to do his business. So he must have gotten a fertilizer seed up his nose that went to his stomach, caused stomach upset, and caused him to throw up. This happened a day or two or three in a row and he threw up every single time.

So, my mom took him to the park right next to our house and they had not put fertilizer down yet. On the nights my mom took my dog to the park, our dog did not throw up.

So, me and my parents are thinking that the fertilizer was the main cause of our dog throwing up.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My dog keeps puking..... - April 11th 2018, 11:31 PM

I'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing your dog to throw up! Since the issue seems to have been resolved I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, but please feel free to PM me if you want it reopened. I hope your dog starts feeling better again now that you've found the cause for him being unwell.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread