TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

I'm at a loss. - April 26th 2018, 02:58 AM

So I don't know what to do, I cannot fix this and I need some help please. Does anyone know how to have a puppy and cat get along? My sister's cat and my cat are not getting along with the new puppy my parents brought home. We have had the puppy for about a month and my sister's cat will try to get the puppy off of him now and jump up onto a chair so she can't get him, but my cat just runs away and is hissing and will not go by the puppy. I get so upset about this. I don't know what to do. I'm always pulling the puppy off of our cats. I need this to stop. I don't know how.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: I'm at a loss. - April 27th 2018, 08:02 AM

Perhaps you could buy a puppy cage, one of those large floor containers that limit a young pup's activities so the cats can enjoy the freedom of the home without him mauling them in that playful way all puppies have.

In time the cats will get used to the little dog, but he will have to learn hierarchy. Of course, cats always assume they're in charge anyway haha, but with time the little doggy will learn respect and know his place. You might be able to hire a puppy cage. Even for a just a month, but ask at your local pet shop.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I've been here a while

Re: I'm at a loss. - April 27th 2018, 02:40 PM

Hi, thank you so much for you're reply. I will talk to my parents about this and see if we can get one for the puppy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: I'm at a loss. - April 28th 2018, 08:34 PM

Hey there. I’m sorry your puppy and cats aren’t getting along.

Whenever we get a new puppy (or cat) we put a baby gate up that separated my bathroom (where there is food, water, litter box, and cat beds) and one that separated the laundry room as well as the spare room (all with food/water/litter box combo) so they learn where they’re allowed vs not allowed. I find that this helps because it gives the cats a place to hide and it teaches the dogs where they’re not allowed to go. When we got our new puppy a few years back, we kept the baby gates up for a few months and now she (along with our other dogs) won’t go into the "cat’s" rooms. The baby gates also serve as a way to do controlled introductions. I mean that, this way you can control the interactions between your cats and the puppy. This way they can smell each other through the gate and hand them each treats which will positivly reinforce the behaviour (getting along) and reward any interaction that is calm or they are indifferent. If there is any signs aggression (like growling or hissing) IGNORE the behaviour, don't yell at either of the animals because they will only assiocate the experience (meeting the dog/cat) with the yelling and getting in trouble. This may take days or even a few weeks until there is no signs of aggression and you are able to remove the baby gates. After they are getting along through the gates, allow the cats to go up to the puppy at their own speed and make sure there are places up high that they can hide if needed.

Also, invest in puppy training and teaching your puppy some basic (i.e.: sit, stay, off/leave it, come) commands. You can't expect a puppy to know it's manners unless you have taught them what is right and what is wrong. Make sure you’re exercising the puppy (walks, games, puzzles, ect) which help get out energy in a safe and positive manner. Animals are able to pick up on emotions and your attitudes. So if you’re angry or nervous towards the puppy, they will pick that up and their interactions will not be as positive.

Honestly, we’ve recently gotten a new cat (stray that showed up at our door step). We had her quarantined (in two adjoining rooms but closed off from our other animals) for a bit while we were waiting to see if she was claimed, after that we got her all the shots and such and a more thorough examination from the vet. They (our other animals) were able to sniff each other through the doors and we moved different smelling blankets so each had a chance to get to know the scent. When we first introduced them, there was a few pissing matches (hissing/growling) but in less than a day, they were getting alone perfectly fine. They (the new cat and my large dog) will sleep on the same spot and cuddle. Our old dog would also sleep with the cats and they would cuddle and lick each other. It is possible for dogs and cats to get along but you have to put an effort forward.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I've been here a while

Re: I'm at a loss. - April 29th 2018, 01:05 AM

Hi, thank you so much for you're help. I will talk to my parents about what you are saying.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: I'm at a loss. - May 1st 2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing girl View Post
Hi, thank you so much for you're reply. I will talk to my parents about this and see if we can get one for the puppy.

Hey

Prices for a puppy cage will vary according to size and for a puppy, you'd probably need a cage that allows for a decent amount of movement, plus a comfy pillow or rug and room for a food/.water bowl. Here's an example, but some must be cheaper in your country. You may be able to sell it on after pup's grown up.

Pets at Home (UK example) http://www.petsathome.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline

I've been here a while

Re: I'm at a loss. - May 3rd 2018, 06:46 PM

Hi, I talked with my parents and they are looking into a puppy cage and training to help her. Thank you for you're help. Hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
It’s the rhythm of your life. It’s the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise

(#8 (permalink)) Old
midtrans Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm at a loss. - May 7th 2018, 03:29 AM

I think there are other things you can put inside of them. I never used them for my dogs so I don't know if it would lead to a lot of movement. I watched my aunts dogs use them and when she put treats inside they would sit there trying to get them out

Closed Thread