TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tesighho Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Playing with a puppy - August 20th 2018, 09:01 AM

Hi Folks,

Which games do you usually play with your dog? Which of them may be useful to train a puppy and develop useful habbits? And what is the best ones for indoor playing?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Playing with a puppy - August 20th 2018, 03:35 PM

Hey,

I don't have a dog myself but I do spend some time around other peoples dogs and know people who have a lot of experience with puppies. It depends what sort of habits you want to train your dog to have, but the use of treats is always quite handy. There a toys you can get your dog where you can hide treats in different compartments and hide them, then let your puppy figure out how to open the different sections to get the treats out. They can be quite clever though so they may figure them out quite quickly which could mean you need to buy/make new ones fairly frequently.

You can also play fetch! If you don't have a lot of outdoor space, you can purchase long leads for dogs and take them to the park. They puppy will still be secure but the lead can be a few meters long so that they have the illusion of being free to run. This is also a good way to train them on recall because you can throw a toy and then work on getting them to bring it back to you which will make it easier if your puppy ever gets a little bit naughty as they will be better at recall.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
joydalia38 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Playing with a puppy - August 21st 2018, 10:25 AM

Get the whole family involved in this one. Give everyone a handful of treats and have them sit in a big circle with the pup in the middle. Everyone takes turns calling the puppy to them, feeding her treats and making a big fuss over her. This is early come/recall training, and it also teaches the pup that people are fun and trustworthy. Here is also a nice list of games to play.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Re: Playing with a puppy - August 22nd 2018, 06:25 AM

My chihuahua like to wrestle and nip but is also trained to stop when we tell her.

My spits has a "unchewable toy" (she destroys everything that's indestructable!) on a stick, like a giant cat toy and she loves it!

My poodle like it when we play bow and gently spin her around and run everywhere

Both the chihuahua and spitz (and my toddler sister) love the laser pointer and will chase it and attack it. It quite funny

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
words MEAN things

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Playing with a puppy - August 23rd 2018, 10:19 AM

Hey there,

Playing with a puppy (or adult dog) is actually one of the best ways to bond with them, not to mention all the mental and physical stimulation you both get from it, so it's great that you're looking for ideas!

One of my favourite games to play with my dog is just good old-fashioned tug. Contrary to popular opinion it doesn't encourage your dog to be aggressive, and even if your dog growls it's most likely playful. I would advise that you create some ground rules before you start playing so that you and your puppy both stay safe. For example the two main rules I have with my dog are that she's not allowed to nip me and that she has to give the toy back if I tell her to; if she breaks either of those then the game stops immediately, so she knows it's worth following them. It's also a good indoor game because it doesn't take up much space.

I agree that fetch could also be a fun game, although it might take a bit more space. You could also try playing hide and seek, which is something I do with my dog sometimes. Either have someone hold your puppy or (if said pup knows the command) have them on a stay somewhere, and then go and hide somewhere out of sight. Then release the puppy and call them, and they get to have fun trying to find you. Make sure when they do find you that you reward them, give them lots of pats and excited praise, so that they a) feel accomplished and b) come to understand that coming when called is always a good thing.

Hopefully those gave you a couple of ideas, but feel free to respond to this if you want some more suggestions or if you want to give some elaboration on what kind of good habits you want to teach your puppy so I can tailor a response to that.

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#6 (permalink)) Old
RichardAnderson Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Playing with a puppy - September 6th 2018, 08:09 AM

You can watch several dog training tutorials on youtube and I thinki training would work best with nice treats!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ugarinino Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Playing with a puppy - September 12th 2018, 07:58 PM

I can't imagine my life without animals

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Quli Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Playing with a puppy - September 28th 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugarinino View Post
I can't imagine my life without animals