TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Pixie - January 5th 2019, 12:15 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, because it contains weight figures, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So my dog Pixie is really skinny. We can see all of her ribs and her spine. When she is healthy you can still see these things and the vet says that it is fine. But she should way 7-7.5 pounds and right now she weight 6.6-6.8 pounds.

All of us are concerned. We are feeding her more dog food and I am even giving her more human food than normal trying to fatten her up.

I know ideally we should take her to the vet. But that is $100 dollars. So we are trying to help her gain weight first. If she doesn't in a week we will take her in.

So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can do or give her to help her gain weight?

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Pixie - January 5th 2019, 03:54 PM

Hey!

Some questions:

-Is it possible she’s allergic to something you’re feeding her?

-Have you recently changed her food?

-Have you checked her fécal matter/anus for worms?

-Have there been any events that could of made her stressed?

-Is she actually eating her food or are your other dogs eating it? If you feed them together (in the same vicinity) maybe feed her in a separate room to ensure she is actually eating.

* I would highly recommend that you take her to the vet to rule out any underlying conditions and to make sure she is healthy

I know that we just went through something similar with one of my cats. We had to recently change the treats/food because one of my cats is severely allergic to gluten, rice, and chicken (vet diagnosed through tests). We had been aware she had mild allergies (spots on her face/ear infections and fur loss and being overall itchy) but it then progressed to her eating traces of her allergens and it would explosive poop and vomiting. Once we changed her food, she is now gaining weight and is looking healthier than before because she’s not eating something that was ‘bad’ for her.

However, that food change, caused one of my the other cats to loose weight (he went from 13.5 - 11...which is not healthy in his breed) in a short time period.
This was extremely noticeable like Pixie and we were worried he may have worms or something else. After taking him to the vet and running a battery of tests, he concluded that it had something to do with the food change because there was nothing wrong with him. He gave us specific directions to feed him a higher portion of kitten food and mix that with the new raw food and some pumpkin at a more frequent rate than we were doing before. He told us that it was important to have a higher percentage of fat and protein because that can help him gain weight. He is gaining weight now and we’ll slowly start to decrease the amounts of kitten food once he’s back to his healthy weight and the vet gives the okay.

We also had the similar advice when my old dog (she was a 65 lb large breed dog) got sick and we were told to mix pumpkin purée (just plain pumpkin, make sure there’s nothing else added!!) plus a specific type of wet puppy food and either egg* or oatmeal* to make slop which helped to maintain her weight and keep her healthy for as long as we could. We mixed this with warm water and an électrolyte replacer as well. This was fed in the morning and evening with her raw food in the afternoon (under the observation and the direction of the vet). Keep in mind, she was a large dog so the frequency of eating was more than a really small dog like Picie.

*He also recommended that we alternate between cooked eggs (no butter, no salt or seasonings just the eggs and a dash of water scrambled) or plain oats (cook in water, add nothing) and mix them in the slop.

We also made our own treats for her by cooking up natural, no additive added ground meat (we did bison), peanut butter, cooked oats, cook plain eggs, flaxseed, and a little bit of molasses and then made them into cubes to freeze and took them out of the freezer the night before and let them thaw ish in the fridge, and gave her 1, a few times a day. I can get the recipe I used when I get home if you want it.
We also gave her an all natural raw peanut butter with some sort of fruit or veggie like carrots or banana. You want to make sure you’re not giving peanut butter with a high acid fruit/veggie though.

However, I really would recommend that you take her to the vet to make sure she is not ill or there is anything wrong because loosing weight can be a red flag in dogs. Also, be careful with what human food you’re feeding her and that it’s okay for dogs (ask your vet) and obviously avoid anything deep fried or cooked in oil.

Hope you manage to figure out what’s wrong with her.

Last edited by Lexify.; January 5th 2019 at 07:09 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Re: Pixie - January 5th 2019, 06:52 PM

What kind of dog? How active is she? How much do you feed her?

Did you already test for worms?

I recommend adding meat fat or bacon. Lard also works. You can also feed her an extra amount of food. Avoid exercising her for a bit after each meal, as this can cause a twisted stomach. Monitor. It's a possibility she is vomiting.

Did you recently get her or has she lived with you for a while?

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Pixie - January 5th 2019, 08:41 PM

Hey Brittany!

How old is Pixie? I know that sometimes elderly animals tend to lose weight and can get quite thin. This is something that has happened to all of our cats as they've aged. I definitely recommend taking her to the vet just to make sure she doesn't have any underlying health issues that could be causing the weight loss, as that tends to be one of the first signs that something is going on with an animal. Not sure what to feed her to help her gain weight, though - I've never actually had dogs myself!

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of this. Sending positive thoughts to Pixie!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Pixie - January 9th 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recommencer View Post
Hey Brittany!

How old is Pixie? I know that sometimes elderly animals tend to lose weight and can get quite thin. This is something that has happened to all of our cats as they've aged. I definitely recommend taking her to the vet just to make sure she doesn't have any underlying health issues that could be causing the weight loss, as that tends to be one of the first signs that something is going on with an animal. Not sure what to feed her to help her gain weight, though - I've never actually had dogs myself!

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of this. Sending positive thoughts to Pixie!
***Frankie

So sorry!! I need to pay more attention and get more sleep at night. I think you both have Pooh avatars and are both purple. I'll definitely be more careful next time!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Re: Pixie - January 14th 2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexify. View Post
Hey!

Some questions:

-Is it possible she’s allergic to something you’re feeding her?

-Have you recently changed her food?

-Have you checked her fécal matter/anus for worms?

-Have there been any events that could of made her stressed?

-Is she actually eating her food or are your other dogs eating it? If you feed them together (in the same vicinity) maybe feed her in a separate room to ensure she is actually eating.
She is eating the same things she always eats. So doubt she is allergic to anything.

No we haven't changed her food.

We haven't checked her fecal matter because we have 5 dogs and don't know who's is who's.

No events

She eats her food and trys to steel the other dogs food and treats if they aren't quick.

We actually made an appointment for the 22nd. So I will come back and update this when I know what is going on.

It's okay not to be okay
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pixie - January 14th 2019, 06:40 PM

Frankie, I believe Pixie is a Chihuahua? If that is correct, she is within the average weight range. In fact, Pixie is at the top of the average range. I don't know if she is mixed breed or pure Chihuahua, but that is something to consider.

However, it sounds like she has a heavy diet and is still not gaining any weight. If she is not active or getting any sort of exercise, then there could be an underlying issue. I am glad you are taking her to the vet.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Re: Pixie - January 24th 2019, 07:32 AM

So we went to the vets yesterday(1/23/19) and the vet agrees that she is way to skinny. She weighed 6 point something, which is underweight for Pixie. And last time she weighed 7.2 which is healthy for her. So she lost almost a pound since August. So she took some samples for test and we should get results back today or tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this has a purpose anymore so I think you can close it. I can always just make a new thread to update on Pixie if I feel the need to.

It's okay not to be okay
|PM/VM|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Pixie - January 24th 2019, 02:20 PM

I hope the vet is able to offer some solutions for you and that everything is okay!
Closing on your request.

Closed Thread