TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
andie09 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Andrea

Lightbulb Getting wax off a cat...... - August 22nd 2009, 04:06 AM

Our kitten, Jackson, was playing this morning and knocked some hot wax off a table onto his fur. Don't worry, Jackson is perfectly fine except for one thing...we can't get all of the wax out of his fur and we don't really want to cut it. I guess the up side to this is that it was candle wax and he smells really, really good. Any idea how we can remove all the wax from his fur without hurting him or having to cut it out?

~Andie~

(\__/)
(=’.’=)
(“)_(“)
hehe...it's a bunny!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
HearMeSCREAM Offline
"I will never let you fall."
Average Joe

Name: Alissandra (Bella)

Re: Getting wax off a cat...... - August 22nd 2009, 11:43 PM

Is it just on the outside of his fur, or is it like, on the skin?

The easiest way that I suggest is just to cut it out. Im sure it'll grow back in no time. My kitten got neutered not long ago and her fur on her belly is already growing back.

I will never let you fall.
But if you do, ill just pick you right back up.
If you dont get up, I'll sit right beside you.

.//b e l i e v e;

JustCallMyName
You'llBeOkay,
YourScreamIsBurningThroughMyVeins.
-Breaking Benjamin

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Getting wax off a cat...... - August 23rd 2009, 02:32 AM

As long as it's only his fur, you can cut it, but if you don't want to do that the easiest thing to do would probably be to just let it grow out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
andie09 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Andrea

Re: Getting wax off a cat...... - August 23rd 2009, 03:47 AM

Yes, it is only his fur...Thank God. It's just pretty much everywhere and we don't want him to loose that much if possible.

~Andie~

(\__/)
(=’.’=)
(“)_(“)
hehe...it's a bunny!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: Getting wax off a cat...... - August 23rd 2009, 04:32 AM

http://www.ehow.com/how_2068546_remove-wax-pet-fur.html

This link might help. But if your cat hates water like most do I suggest you just cut it's fur.

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Getting wax off a cat...... - August 23rd 2009, 05:03 AM

Hey there!
I kind of understand your cat's pain. When I was younger, my sister knocked a candle on top of me and hot wax spilled ALL over my head. It was an absolute mess to clean up. My mom did a couple of things. I had to take a warm shower to loosen the wax. Then, she put some shampoo and conditioner underneath the wax (right at the roots of my hair) and worked it loose a little more. Then we added a little lotion to it, again underneath the wax (but more against the wax than the roots of my hair). After another warm shower, it was all out. That being said, here's my thoughts:

Soap will help ease the wax off of the cat, but the wax does need to be softened some in order to remove it easily.
You can try to do it one of three ways: Warm water, like mentioned above. Or possibly using a hair dryer set on low, one the "warm" setting. For the sake of their skin and fur, do NOT use the highest heat setting on the hair dryer. Also, hold the dryer a decent length away so that the heat isn't directly on them. The most tedious way to warm the wax is to rub it between your fingers - be careful with this one if you choose to do it, because you don't want to do it too harshly (in other words, don't pull too much, it can hurt them and they might scratch you). With patience, this method is a good one at loosening the wax, because it's the most gentle method for the cat (not freaking him out or hurting him).
From here, it should be easy to slip the wax right off. You may need some soap or something oily to get it easily removed.

If it doesn't work, any of these ways, take him to the groomer and have them try to remove it. If they can't remove it in any other ways, they can cut it off in a safer way than you and I would be able to.

Good luck!
~Em

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Closed Thread