TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 21st 2010, 06:32 PM

Hey guys,

I have an approximately 1 1/2 year old Border Terrier mix (not 100% sure of his age or what he's mixed with because we got him from a shelter), and I am just looking for something new and exciting to do with him. I have trained him to fetch a ball out in the (fenced) backyard, and I take him for regular walks but I am looking for something different to do.

I am just getting tired of plain old throw, fetch, throw, fetch and am looking for something more fun (although he never gets tired of it lol). I have started to train him to play off leash so I can throw farther, but I am a little uneasy because I fear her will get distracted easily. I thought an obedience class would be fun, but it costs money and my work schedule changes a lot week by week. Right now he can sit, stay, rollover, halt, and heel.

I also feel hesitant to play tug-of-war or tag or anything like that because we just overcame the food aggression he had when we got him (back in June), and I am now top dog in the house (this was a problem at first because he's my first dog, and I was less wise than I am now).

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading anyways lol.

Here's a pic for your trouble:

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 21st 2010, 06:46 PM

Hey there,

I just want to say your dog is adorable . I think he is so cute in the picture you posted. I used to have a dog about the size of yours or a little bigger. I found she really liked to go for runs or bike rides. If you have trained your dog to walk properly on a leash and he won't randomly jerk off and chase anything that moves, you might want to take him on a bike ride or a roller blade ride? You certainly don't need to make him pull you or anything like that, but it might be fun for him to get some more extreme exercise. My uncle also takes his dogs, maybe about once a month or twice a month to an extreme dog training course. It isn't too expensive, though you should look into it in case. Basically, they would teach these dogs to search and find certain smells, climb a latter etc. I know it sounds kind of extreme, but my uncle really found this to be a good bonding exercise for him and his dogs. It's just something to think about. And since these things only happen on weekends maybe once a month, it might be easier to plan for. You might be interested in something like that? I hope you find something Take care.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 21st 2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence View Post
Hey there,

I just want to say your dog is adorable . I think he is so cute in the picture you posted. I used to have a dog about the size of yours or a little bigger. I found she really liked to go for runs or bike rides. If you have trained your dog to walk properly on a leash and he won't randomly jerk off and chase anything that moves, you might want to take him on a bike ride or a roller blade ride? You certainly don't need to make him pull you or anything like that, but it might be fun for him to get some more extreme exercise. My uncle also takes his dogs, maybe about once a month or twice a month to an extreme dog training course. It isn't too expensive, though you should look into it in case. Basically, they would teach these dogs to search and find certain smells, climb a latter etc. I know it sounds kind of extreme, but my uncle really found this to be a good bonding exercise for him and his dogs. It's just something to think about. And since these things only happen on weekends maybe once a month, it might be easier to plan for. You might be interested in something like that? I hope you find something Take care.
He is MUCH better than when we first got him, but he still has his moments. Another factor is that it is winter here, so squirrels and the like are not out to distract him. It's definitely a possibility.

That extreme course sounds hilarious (I am picturing my little guy climbin up ladders. ). I like the idea of obedience training in general because it would allow for lots of socialization.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 21st 2010, 07:22 PM

Walking is the best way to get your dog exercise, and have fun! My dog always bolts off after squirrels and bunnies in the summer, but it actually makes the walks more fun somehow.

Also, can your dog swim? You obviously couldn't do this in the winter, but in the summer you could get a little baby pool (or a medium sized one!) for your dog to swim around in. I've seen that on a lot of doggy TV shows, like Dog Whisperer. It's supposed to relax your dog too, so that's a plus!

If there's any lakes or dog parks near you, take him to those! Dogs also love open fields where they can run around and just play. xD Dogs are easier to entertain than us humans are, so don't over think it too much. Chances are, whatever you do with your dog, he's going to be thankful.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 21st 2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post
Walking is the best way to get your dog exercise, and have fun! My dog always bolts off after squirrels and bunnies in the summer, but it actually makes the walks more fun somehow.

Also, can your dog swim? You obviously couldn't do this in the winter, but in the summer you could get a little baby pool (or a medium sized one!) for your dog to swim around in. I've seen that on a lot of doggy TV shows, like Dog Whisperer. It's supposed to relax your dog too, so that's a plus!

If there's any lakes or dog parks near you, take him to those! Dogs also love open fields where they can run around and just play. xD Dogs are easier to entertain than us humans are, so don't over think it too much. Chances are, whatever you do with your dog, he's going to be thankful.
I got him a baby pool last year and he apparently went in for a little bit (my mom was watching him not me), but he mostly just drank the water LMAO.

-Richard Safreed

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 24th 2010, 07:38 PM

Hey There - I love finding new things to do with my dog =]

Have you thought about agility?? It's a bit like what Melissa said with the ladders and stuff - except you train your dog to do jumps, tunnels, long jumps, tyre jumps, see-saws etc...

I tain agility with my spaniel - it so much fun both you and the dog =]

Also, with your dog being extremely 'ball' and 'play' motivated - this sort of activity could be trained easily - use a throw of the ball as a reward...

Or, have you thought about FlyBall? This is where a dog goes over four jumps, collects a ball that they release from a box, and then come back over the jumps.

Use Google for more info on both agility and flyball.

You could also gundog train your dog, this is where they flush birds out of woods, or pick up shot birds (just the training- not real birds if you don't want to).

OR - Heelwork to music? This is where you combine all your funky tricks to some funk music :]

(Sorry, I'm a bit dog mad, and have lots of things I like to do!!)

Also try Googling things such as 'Disc Dog', 'Earth Dog Trials' (Which are spefically for terriers) and 'Tracking Trials'.

I hope this helps - Have fun with your dog!!!
Also, make sure you have a good recall for all of these sports as the majorty will be done off lead. Agility can initially be trained on the lead though =]

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 25th 2010, 05:34 AM

I love to blow bubbles for my dog. He's a toy poodle and he goes crazy catching them and trying to bite them. It's a little variation of a fetching game, I guess, except there are like a million balls to go after. He always has a good time when I blow bubbles for him. Maybe you should try it. (Bubbles are cheap, anyway!)

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - February 27th 2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Twin View Post
I love to blow bubbles for my dog. He's a toy poodle and he goes crazy catching them and trying to bite them. It's a little variation of a fetching game, I guess, except there are like a million balls to go after. He always has a good time when I blow bubbles for him. Maybe you should try it. (Bubbles are cheap, anyway!)

Awwwhh Yea! I know my dog loves it when we get the hose out, and put your thumb over the end and squir shots of water! Or when we used to play with water pistols - they loves catching water droplets in summer!

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 6th 2010, 05:18 AM

I was going to suggest agility or flyball, but Claire beat me to it. I do agility with my lab and it's quite fun. You can buy or make your own equipment if you don't want to join a club. Would your dog be well behaved enough to go to an off-leash park? As long as he isn't overly aggressive you can take him to one. You can probably find some in your area online.

I recently tried skijoring with my dog. It's supposed to be where you have a dog(some people do it with horses and snowmobiles) pull you on cross-country skies. It's really fun if you don't mind falling over a lot unless you intend to train your dog very well. The other thing is, even if your dog isn't big enough you can still do this, you just have to help.

I also like biking. If you plan on trying this but your dog isn't trained well enough, you can try a "dog bike leash". http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/ I have the bike leash(not the tow one) and it works really well. My 60lbs. lab cross can't pull me over even with full force. You don't need to buy all that stuff on that site but if you plan to do any biking with your dog you should use a harness.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#10 (permalink)) Old
rac146 Offline
Missing Molly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ruth

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 10th 2010, 11:42 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here that would suggest agility or flyball - they are great bonding activities for you and your dog and you meet the greatest people too!! Definately look into flyball even if your money is short...my club trained me and my dog for free because he was ball crazy...

Another thing to consider if you have been training him would be to enroll him in AKC's new mixed breed program or the UKC's mixed breed program. You can complete in Obedience, Agility, and Rally Obedience (which is super fun) through both venues.

Rally is like obedience but you follow directions on a sign through a course. its very fun and the first level is on leash. you can google for more info.

Dog events is one of the greatest ways to meet other dog people and have fun with your dog. You can also check out your local dog park if you have one.

Oh, one more thing you mentioned obedience classes...see if you have an actual dog training club in your area. sometimes you can become a member, paying a once a year fee to have discounted classes for the rest of the year....just something to look into lol

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 13th 2010, 09:10 PM

Wow, um... was not expecting this many responses! Thank you! I will take a look into all of these suggestions.

I have started playing fetch with my dog off leash more frequently, and he does fine. He is extremely food-motivated, so I always make sure to bring a couple treats. The other day, he and another dog (11 month old female golden) played in a fenced-in area away from home, and they got along pretty well. She was being a little rough with him (and was 2x the size lol), but he stood his ground and they were both happy.

Thank you everyone!

-Richard Safreed

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 13th 2010, 09:38 PM

Don't have any real advice. Just wanted to say your dog is so cute (:

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 14th 2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina. View Post
Don't have any real advice. Just wanted to say your dog is so cute (:
this is one of my favorite pics:

-Richard Safreed

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 14th 2010, 06:30 AM

Have you tired playing with a laser with him??
My dog goes crazy with the laser he is always trying to catch it and than I point it to the roof and he gets in the sofas and jumps, he is crazy...

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 14th 2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Have you tired playing with a laser with him??
My dog goes crazy with the laser he is always trying to catch it and than I point it to the roof and he gets in the sofas and jumps, he is crazy...
Yes. The problem is he gets addicted to it lol. If I play with it, for the rest of the day when I reach for something he starts looking around frantically for the little red dot.

When it gets a little warmer out, I'll take him into the yard at night and have him chase it OUTSIDE. That should be good.

-Richard Safreed

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 20th 2010, 03:51 AM

I just found out there is a dog park not too far away from my house (15ish miles). It is VERY large, but it is still fenced in. Seems perfect! I gotta get a permit to be in the park though.

-Richard Safreed

(#17 (permalink)) Old
wksbro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 26th 2010, 03:12 AM

i can tell u. my grand ma had a dog and she played fetch as soon as she got trained halt. as long as it is not at a busy street go for it.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Fun activities to do with my dog? - March 26th 2010, 09:12 AM

Any chance you can take up a sport? Agility, flyball, even Frisbee?

Or, even if you can't, you could just train your dog to do those. Like, teach your dog to jump, or weave, or things like that.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread