TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

One of my dogs claws has fell off. - July 27th 2010, 09:50 AM

This morning when my dog got out of bed I noticed something on her bed and when I picked it up I realised it was a claw. I sat her down and checked each paw to see which one it was and it was one of here dew claws.

What it left now is a little stump and it has been bleeding and has now scabbed over.
Her dew claw was quite long because out vet won't cut it because they are dark and he can't see the nerves and they also bleed.

So I am wondering has she caught it on something and pulled it off or could she have bit it off it was hurting or could it have just fell off?

Also anything I can do to stop the bit on her paw getting infected in any way.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: One of my dogs claws has fell off. - July 28th 2010, 06:53 AM

Hey,

I have heard of dew claws randomly coming off of older dogs who didn't have them removed as puppies. Dew claws really are not needed and so a lot of times they will just fall off. I remember my lab had one and then it was gone. She turned out fine.

If you are really worried about it call the vet and see what they have to say.

As for what to use to prevent infection; I would think some type of doggie antibacterial soap/solution. However, I am not 100% sure so you might want to just phone the vet and explain your concern and see if they can give you a recommendation of what to use.

Hope this helped and best of luck.

Jenna

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: One of my dogs claws has fell off. - July 28th 2010, 10:00 AM

I know this is isn't about the problem completely but if the dew claw on the other paw is long, you can cut it yourself. There is clippers out there with a safety guard fitted on them to make sure you don't cut too much off and cut the live part.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
rac146 Offline
Missing Molly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ruth

Re: One of my dogs claws has fell off. - July 29th 2010, 02:30 PM

Your vet wont cut it? I find that strange that he/she wouldnt trim it for you. Cutting the quick is alot less painful that having the dewclaw ripped off cause it got stuck of something (not saying this is what happened to your dog, but it did happen to mine once)

Call your vet if you want, but if there a sleezy type of vet, they'll insist your dog come in, which probably isnt nesscessary. Wash it with antibactiral soap and wrap it with a section of vet wrap and it should heal just fine.

Look a rattata!!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: One of my dogs claws has fell off. - July 31st 2010, 07:55 PM

My dog has had some of her other claws break before. She's usually a little sore and it bleeds a lot but it will heal up fine.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread