TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Bad Smell - December 7th 2010, 12:51 AM

My Dachshund is 10 years old, going to be 11 in February. He's been a pretty clean dog his whole life and never really smelled or felt bad when I pet him, expect for maybe after not having a bath for a week or two.

Now, just this year he's been smelling pretty bad. But I only smell him when I'm in his face or on my hands after I've pet him. And it smells pretty bad. His fur also feels pretty bad, especially on his chest and in between his shoulder blades. kind of like an oily texture.

I could give him as many baths as I wanted to, but he will smell bad the very next day!

What could be causing this and is there anyway to fix it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Macklemoist Offline
The show goes on
Average Joe

Name: Sabreena

Re: Bad Smell - December 8th 2010, 02:09 PM

Well he is 10 yrs. old maybe it's his age that the fur starts to be diffrent?
I looked it up on a few sites and they said:
1)it could be fleas
2) maybe a certain type of soap/ dip you use on him
3)
Your girl may have a flea allergy. One bite on the nose can cause skin problems all over. I insisted on a skin scrapping at the vets to rule out other possible causes. Dachshund also get sunburn and dry skin from being in the sun. Doxies do not normally have dry skin or require treatments for their skin. Once you find out why she has dry skin, you can treat it. Regular medicated dandruff shampoo can help with the itch...dry skin does itch. My vet gave me special shampoo for allergies that did the trick for me. Do not use Dawn dish detergent on dogs with dry skin. Good Luck.
^^ I copied and pasted that for ya'

Hope he is feeling better!
Add me as a friend on here!

Allow yourself to develop in all aspects of life- cut out from toxic people and realize it's for the best. Love yourself endlessly, and even if you don't love yourself right now, fake it until you do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Bad Smell - December 9th 2010, 10:07 PM

That doesn't sound good. I would definitely take him to the vet, it could be a serious medical problem.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Macklemoist Offline
The show goes on
Average Joe

Name: Sabreena

Re: Bad Smell - December 9th 2010, 10:10 PM

Yeah it's not the best thing...My cat had flea alerg. and lost alot of hair. YW for the advice

Allow yourself to develop in all aspects of life- cut out from toxic people and realize it's for the best. Love yourself endlessly, and even if you don't love yourself right now, fake it until you do.

Closed Thread