TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child&Youth Care Student
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Koda's teeth!! - July 24th 2011, 06:50 PM

Hey guys.

My puppy, Koda, is a 5 month old german shepherd malamute X. He's beautiful and we love him to bits.

When we go camping, which is every weekend and sometimes during the week, we tie him to a rope. He has lots of room on this rope to run around and play and whatever, but he likes to wander into the bush and eat the raspberries, but then he gets "the runs." So we tie him up.

The other day, he had the rope in his mouth, and then he started running. But soon the rope stopped getting longer, and ripped his 2 bottom fang teeth out. Oh boy was he crying when that happened. It's okay because he's not bleeding, nothing is torn, and they will grow back with the rest of his adult teethies, but he's in a lot of pain, I can tell. He won't eat his dog food. I'm home alone with him right now and discovered that when I tried to feed him breakfast...he took a few bites of his kibble and started crying and came right to me and threw his face up at me so I looked and his gums aren't swollen and red or anything but I can see how it would be painful. Thank god we had some wet dog food, because that is softer....so I gave him that and he lapped it up no problem...

How do i help him with pain? I've been giving him ice cubes to nom on (he likes those), and hopefully that is soothing his gums a bit more, but is there anything I can do to help him until his big boy teeth grow in and he can chew again?

Jenn

Jen

Proud Mama of 2 Adopted Dogs
Koda- Shepherd/Malamute
Penny- Lab/Redbone Coon Hound

Send a message via MSN to Arcenciel  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Koda's teeth!! - July 24th 2011, 07:25 PM

If he's in a lot of pain for too much longer, you could always take him to the vet, they might give him a few painkillers if he seriously can't eat anything but wet food.

You might be tempted, or are suggested to give him over the counter pain meds. I don't recommend this, and even then Aspirin is the ONLY somewhat safe med for dogs, he might not really need it and it tends to thin the blood, Not recommended in puppies.

I suppose I'd just keep giving him ice. You can also try heat anywhere else, but I'm not sure how that'd work in a dog's mouth Just keep making sure he is eating, and very hydrated. Water does wonders, it's weird.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread