TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
~Brooke~Fairy Dust Wishes~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 11:52 AM

im getting a cat on thursday im pretty excited but my baby boy who has ran away was terrified of the car and would cry i dont want this happening to my new cat any advice on making the cat feel okay in the car,

and is it fair to make the cat an inside cat an?
if i try to will it cry to go outside?, i cant hearin the sound of a cat crying

if it cant be an inside cat i live on a busy road
how can i make sure its safe?
and train it to return?
and how long to wait before i can let the cat out?
  Send a message via MSN to BrookeTHaddict  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Sonia16 Offline
Needing Support
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sonia

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 12:01 PM

WELL IF U R TO MAKE IT AN OUT SIDE CAT U SHOULD KEEP IT IN THE HOUSE FOR ABOUT 4 TO 5 DAYS SO IT CAN GET USED TO WHERE IT LIVES AND IT IS FAIR TO HAVE IT IN SIDE BECAUSE IT IS A VERY BUZZY ROAD HE/SHE MIGHT GET HIT LIKE MY CAT DID ANY WAY LVE YA GOOD LUCK

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 03:49 PM

Hey there,

It's always good for a brand new cat to get used to its new home. When we got our cat we restricted him to staying in the house for 2-3 weeks to allow him to get used to the home surroundings; after three weeks we allowed him to go outside and get used to the outside surroundings in our area. There is always the possibility of a cat getting ran over by a busy road, but it's a chance we have to take. Once a cat is out doing cat things, they will be out of your control. When it is dinner time or you would like them to come inside, then call their name or get their biscuit box, go to the door and rattle it and call your cat's name. We did that with my cat and he's trained to return when he hears us calling his name or rattling his box. The majority of the time it works, but at other times it doesn't. So don't be too worried if they don't return when you would like them too. They genuinely come home in their own time.

I hope this has been of some help.
Lex.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeTHaddict View Post
im getting a cat on thursday im pretty excited but my baby boy who has ran away was terrified of the car and would cry i dont want this happening to my new cat any advice on making the cat feel okay in the car,

and is it fair to make the cat an inside cat an?
if i try to will it cry to go outside?, i cant hearin the sound of a cat crying

if it cant be an inside cat i live on a busy road
how can i make sure its safe?
and train it to return?
and how long to wait before i can let the cat out?
If you start a cat out in a car while they are young, and take them for regular rides to various places (not just the vet, they do catch on!!!), they will get used to the car at the very least. May even enjoy it! Make sure they are comfortable, always put them in a carrier, and talk soothingly.

Indoor cats live longer, healthier lives. Besides fleas, ticks, and other risks, outdoor cats have other animals to contend with and are more likely to be hit by passing cars, mistakenly thought to be strays and picked up, or run off. Just be sure to put your cat on a proper indoor diet if you choose to keep them indoors. They may cry at first, if they are used to the outdoors, but watching birds through a window will probably be enough--amusement for the cat and for you. Also bear in mind that if your cat is ever declawed, it will have no means to protect itself outside of your house, so if you let your cat outdoors it should have all four sets of claws.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 10:07 PM

ok but whats the different from a indoor diet and outdoor diet, and if the cat has never been an outside cat because im getting it from the RSPCA will it cry i cant stand hearing a cat cry it makes me cry and feel bad
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 10:10 PM

Keep your cat indoors. It will be a whole lot safer as others have said. Mine is in indoor cat but she still likes to sit and look out the window and we have a bird feeder by the window so she loves to watch the birds. It's definitely a lot safer keeping her inside especially on a busy road. Also, try and get your cat micro chipped. That way, if it runs away and someone finds it, they can return it to you. Also, but a collar on with your phone number that way you have a good chance of getting him back if he does end up outside.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: getting a new cat - August 7th 2011, 10:11 PM

And some bags of food are labelled "for indoor cats" but honestly, it doesn't make a difference. Just dry food for whatever the cat's age is. You can do wet food but it's not needed and just extra money

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: getting a new cat - August 8th 2011, 12:13 AM

I would personally keep your cat inside if you live near a busy road. Fact of the matter is, you CAN NOT do anything to make sure your new kitty is safe if you let it outside. Both of my cats have always been indoor cats, and the vet says they're one of the most happiest, healthiest cats he gets. Outside cats are more prone to an early death, infections, diseases, parasites, ext. Inside cats, while not being able to "explore the world" (which is a lie anyway) are overall much healthier. You can still get your cat plenty of toys to stimulate it.

Besides, as a kid I took my cats outside a lot with me. At first I was scared they'd run and I couldn't get them back, but eventually I loosened up. I just NEVER let them get out of distance. I wouldn't even do this though until you know the kitty, and know that it will come back when needed to. Getting a cat to come when called is tricky, as cats aren't too easily trainable like a dog. Usually you'll need to tempt them to come with you, a favorite toy or some delicious food. My cats usually eat dry food, as it's cheaper, easier, and sometimes healthier, but they know and love the sound of their wet food can opening! It's a delicious treat and they always come right to me when they hear me open it up. Even the cat that is a whopping 18 years old!!

If you keep your cat inside from the beginning, it shouldn't cry. Mine have never cried, because they're always been perfectly content living inside. If it were up to me, more people would leave their animals inside... I see way too many on the side of the road, and it breaks my heart.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: getting a new cat - August 8th 2011, 07:08 AM

ok thank you and yer i tend to spoil my cats way to much, i ussually give my cat a tin of wet food at night and have biscuits there all day is that too much food for a cat
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: getting a new cat - August 8th 2011, 04:11 PM

The right amount of food for the cat is usually on the dry food bag. It says how much should be given how many times a day. And the treats, they are like cookies so just don't overfeed them, it's dessert

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: getting a new cat - August 9th 2011, 10:25 AM

ok thank you very much everyone i will post pictures when i get him/her,
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: getting a new cat - August 10th 2011, 02:05 AM

Try to adopt from a shelter they take better care of their animals than a pet store and lots of homeless pets are out there.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread