TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Me
Average Joe

Name: *Spiffy nickname*

Question OCD Dog? - October 17th 2011, 11:18 PM

Alright well this is kind of strange and I would just like to know if this is normal or not.

My fiance and I have a German Shepard-Australian Shepard mix close to two years old, she is perfectly happy and healthy and very energetic but seeing as she eats so much and we have an older dog that we need to make sure eats we have Bella's (Bella is the one i'm posting about) bowl in our room, we have never actually really watched her eat because we never really felt the need to but the other day we noticed something that she has been doing,

We will give her her bowl and set it down (in the bowl there is a line halfway through that we use to make sure we give her the same amount every time) and the food will in some places be high and others low (like a hill) and what she will do is take her nose and push on the food around the corners until the food is completely flat with the line.....then she will just leave it and eat it later! When I first noticed this after she did it I made sure she seen what I was doing, I took the bowl, messed up the food and set it down in front of her, and low and behold SHE DID IT AGAIN!

So the more I thought about it the more it seems like OCD but dogs can't get that right? She's perfectly healthy otherwise.....does anyone else's dog do something like this? Should we take her to the vet to get it checked out? Could it be OCD?

I love my dog very much and I'm really scared this could be bigger then it seems....please give me some kind of answers and soon.

If it helps we got her at a shelter a little less then a year ago but she was only there for like two hours before we got her so I'm not sure if that helps....

"I never heard you, but I hear you.
I never held you, but I feel you.
I never knew you, but I love you.
" - Orphan
My Dear Angel James never doubt that I love you and miss you everyday.

James Anthony Roy R.I.P. my angel, lifes not the same without you.
"And if you were with me tonight I'd sing to you one last time, a song for a heart so big God wouldn't let it live"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: OCD Dog? - October 17th 2011, 11:32 PM

I'm no professional and neither is my friend, but she's into animals and stuff so I asked her for you. She said OCD in animals is possible, but once I described what the "problem" was she said it sounds more like a habit, and it could be to hide the food so that others don't see it by making it smaller.

Obviously, your best bet if you're really worried is to see a professional about it, but she didn't seem to think it's cause for concern.

Closed Thread