TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.L Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ella

Question Mouse? - November 13th 2011, 06:18 AM

I thinking of getting a mouse as a pet. I've nearly convinced my Mum and Dad but only if I get one. Will it effect the mouses health if it lives in solitary. I understand that females are more effected with this. Also are they good pets and any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thank-You

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Mouse? - November 14th 2011, 01:54 AM

As someone with 7 mice, I don't recommend getting a single mouse. It's almost impossible to even buy a male mouse for this reason, they are the absolute most social animals I've ever met, more social than humans, and need to be around others. Boys will impregnate girls, and fight other boys, I'd know.

Mice are awesome though, it's not too big of a deal to get two. If you have the space and money for one mouse, you have the space for two or three. If you have any questions about what mice need, love to play with, or the best kind of mouse to get, I'm your gal.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: Mouse? - November 15th 2011, 07:59 PM

I would actually recommend a rat or two instead of a mouse. They don't take up that much more space, and I find them to be much more personable. My rats have never bitten me or had a fight with their roommates, unlike pet mice I've had in the past.

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Turtle760 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Turtle

Re: Mouse? - November 17th 2011, 02:08 AM

I don't own any mice, but I am a rat enthusiast. I highly recommend you get at least 2, as they tend to get lonely if they live alone, even if you do pay it a lot of attention.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.L Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Mouse? - November 18th 2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys,
i think i'll get two mice same gender.
which bedding is better like woodchips, shredded papers, ect?
im not too sure on rats though, only because i had one bite me
thanks again guys big help

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mouse? - November 18th 2011, 10:47 PM

I've had little experience with rats, though I do enjoy them. But I have not had one bad experience with mice, and I have had 9 total, 7 right now. Like I said, you'll want two females. While paper bedding is often prettier and softer on the mice, cedar shavings tend to hold smell better. As for myself, smell doesn't bother me because I'm so used to it. (I work with animals) but my mother insists that cedar shavings help the most.

I'm practically an expert on mouse care, so hit me up

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Mouse? - November 19th 2011, 09:10 AM

Both rats and mice are easy to keep, ive had both in the past but i recommend you buy female mice if you dont want them to multiply.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella.L Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Mouse? - November 26th 2011, 12:18 PM

well, i am think of a male because ferel mice coulld impregnate the females. Would that be ok? Also any toilet training tips?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mouse? - November 26th 2011, 03:45 PM

I highly advise against getting a male mouse at all. It was an accident for me to get mine really, for a few reasons. As I said before, mice are highly sociable and should be kept in at least pairs. So that's be fine right, to get two male mice? Nope, males will fight each other. To the death.

You say that feral mice will impregnate females? I REALLY highly suggest against letting your mice play with other mice, it is way too dangerous on so many levels. Mice are not animals you can just let play outside, or inside, you need to watch them constantly or keep them in their cage. They are not a dog or a cat, if you let them outside, they will get caught by another animal and you've lost your mouse. Even if you're watching it.

You really don't toilet train mice at all... They poop in their cedar or paper litter in their cage. If you get it young enough you might be able to get it to poop in a certain corner, but I highly doubt that. I've never had any luck with any 9 of my mice to be toilet trained. I just clean out the litter every week. It's like a hamster, you keep it in a cage or hold it. Nothing else. Don't just let it play around your house. It's dangerous to your mouse, and dangerous to your house. They can and will chew on wires, walls, your food, ext.

Like I said, owner and breeder of mice to I have the answer to pretty much anything, but if you're serious about this mouse, I'd check out how to care for them more.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/small-...ouse-care.aspx

If your parents won't allow more than one mouse or allow you to have the proper care for one, I don't think you should get one anyway, it's cruel to get an animal and not be able to care for it.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Last edited by TheBabyEater; November 26th 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Closed Thread