TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Takeitslow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Probably shouldn't, but want a dog. - December 11th 2011, 06:51 AM

Hey everyone, I've been having a big brain war for a while now. Part of me really wants a dog but the other part doesn't think it's right.

So last year, a day after Christmas, we put our old dog, Deena, and American bulldog, to sleep. She was very old and had many heart, stomach and cancer complications and it was just her time. We were all very sad after that (what a crappy holiday that was :/) and didn't think about getting a new dog for a while. But after a bit I began to miss the protection and companion.

About 6 months ago at the start of summer I brought up getting another dog, my mom wasn't ready though so I just dropped it.

About 3 months ago I saw a someone walking a shiba inu while jogging in the woods. I googled them and really fell in love with the breed. They clearly have their faults but they really remind me of, well, me, and not to mention they look like little badasses. I like almost everything about them.

So I found an amazing breeder who only has about 2 litters a year, called the guy, and he sounded like the best breeder you could have. He's not doing it for the money, he's doing it for the animals, and it completely shows. I really wanted one of the puppies, bad. Course I talked to my parents, they said no or ignored the subject, then all the puppies got adopted, and I felt like absolute shit for being strung along like that (largely by myself).

When I brought it up to my parents and at first they sounded kind of receptive, but then my dad became against it and my mom followed. You see, we spend a lot of time in our other house in Florida, a week in thanksgiving, a week for winter or spring break (not both though) and 1-2 months in the Summer, as well as going to Florida for the occasional long weekend. We'd take the dog during the summer but leave it during any other time. My dad also doesn't like the responsibilities (which have never really phased me) and also doesn't really want the dog after college. I know I wouldn't be able to keep it after college but I think if we got the dog they would definitively change their minds in a heart beat.

I know I'd be a great dog owner. I play soccer, work out and run 6 miles on weekends, so I think the dog would have to be the one keeping up with me. I also really incredibly love to hike and would take a dog hiking any chance I got (it's not really something you can do with friends). Also, I really miss the companionship and protection. My friends can't be over all the time, and my gf lives too far to commute to regularly (I offered her bus fare... ha I'm such a nice guy). Especially in the summer in Florida, I have like 5 friends and would really love a dog there because it gets kinda lonely.

I know there are a million and one reasons for me not to get a dog, but I really wanna focus on the few great reasons to get one. I know this was all for me and thanks to anyone who actually bothered to read all this and maybe even offer a smidgeon of advice on if I should follow my heart or just give up on it. I tried to not think about a dog for a while, it ended in me getting really sad for about 5 days and not speaking to my parents the whole time, but I'm over that now. Still, I really would like a dog. And I know it's not that big a deal, life goes on, but... I could really use a short term and long term good thing happening in my life, with all the craziness of high school. Thanks for reading and maybe even giving an opinion. You're gold

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Takeitslow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Probably shouldn't, but want a dog. - December 11th 2011, 03:53 PM

edit: well that guys comment got deleted so my response now looks like i was just talking to myself... coooooool.

Last edited by Takeitslow; December 12th 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Closed Thread