TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 02:47 AM

so I came home to my dog have this wicked gash on his leg...its just over an inch long and a centimeter deep my dad tried to stitch it himself (i told him it wasnt a good idea) but we cant afford a vet theres only one stitch because we could get him to sit still long enough so he has ONE stitch that hardly holds it together and not a dressing.

I'm not sure what to do...advice?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Just here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 12:39 PM

Depending on the type of dog, it would vary how you treat this injury.. if the skin in thin on the leg it could be prone to tearing even more. If it's deep, it wont heal on its own, and stitching it without professional help is a really bad idea because it can become prone to infection. Usually the dog would go on antibiotics such as Metronidazole to prevent infection, especially if it was cut on metal wire etc. So instead of this you should find antibacterial cream, I guess even stuff you use on humans would do. In the UK, humans can use steri-strips to help close deep wounds, and you can buy them from pharmacies and stuff for like 90p for a strip of 5. I'm not sure what they're called in Canada but I'm sure if you do a quick google search or go into a pharmacy and ask they could tell you what you're looking for. Essentially they are used instead of stiching the wound, and help bring it together. You can read more here. You'll need to prevent your dog from licking/chewing the stitches so I advise putting a bandage around the wound, maybe only at night when you can't tell the dog to stop, so it can air during the day. I hope this helps and you're dog is OK soon!

Things, no matter how bad, will always get better. So smile, 'cause this is life, and life is what you make it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 04:30 PM

If you can't get your dog to sit still for real stitches, maybe you could try butterfly stitches, or steri strips. They're basically like super bandaids. You might have to shave the hair around the cut if you haven't already, I'm not sure how well they would stick on hair! To put these on, you'll need one person to hold together the cut while the other person places the bandage across it horizontally. Make sure to put some sort of antibaterial stuff on it as well, neosporin works without pain, but peroxide works better. Just be prepared for a big yelp! You should also get some bandages and wrap it up real good, and if he starts to chew at it, you can get some of those cones at Petsmart. It should start healing up soon, but if it starts to look infected, you might want to rethink consulting a vet...

Good luck to both of you!

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 05:46 PM

Well all that stuff sounds great but it's hard enough to get my dog to sit still to get his claws trimmed or ears cleaned shaving him will be worse...and my dad is very stubborn he thinks one stitch and covering it will be good but if it hasn't improved by day 3 I'm going to push to go to the vet and use my christmas money if I have to. I hope 83 dollars will be enough to cover at least half.

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 08:24 PM

How many people do you have in your family? My dog is diabetic, and while she's fine and dandy during shots, we have to hold her down if we ever need to check her blood sugars. We have one person doing the actual check, one person alone holding the leg/paw we need to check, and another person holding the rest of the body, usually the strongest person available! I imagine some steri strips would be better, because they don't hurt at all. Other than not wanting the would to be touched, hopefully he won't jerk around too much.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 08:49 PM

Try dressing the wound with alchohol, or even better, iodine. It will stop infection and speed healing, but your dog may find it stings. Trust me though, it will help.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 4th 2012, 08:53 PM

It's only me and my dad, we can't hold a black lab down and stitch him AND hold his leg all at once and he don't have iodine, my dad doesn't want to listen to me he thinks he knows best.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 6th 2012, 11:03 PM

Thought I'd let you guys know, we took the bandages off today and his leg is healing up nicely. Thanks for all your advice.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dog has a cut on his leg - January 7th 2012, 04:42 AM

Yayy!!

*dances*

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Closed Thread