TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrimeStopper Offline
Emily
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Which one do you think? - January 19th 2012, 10:04 PM

Hi everyone! So I wanted to get another animal. Right now I have a adorable cat named Tacoma (as shown in my profile aviator.) She's a little brat. It's always her way of the high way. She's friendly with me but iffy with others. But the other pet I was thinking co getting was a Guinea Pig or a Chincillia. I've looked up a little bit about the both. But I'm still torn on which one would be better for me in a apartment with a cute but bratty cat. I've heard guinea pigs are calmer and not as hyper as chincillias. But at he same time I rather have a Chincillia. Or course I'd keep the cage oh of reach from Tacoma. So what do you all know about the two? Which would you recommend!? Thanks!!! :-)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Which one do you think? - January 19th 2012, 10:40 PM

It's really up to you, but you should also check into which are more I guess compatible with cats.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Which one do you think? - January 20th 2012, 01:00 AM

I personally think Chinchillas are awesome, but they are quite a bit more work. I don't know what kind of life you live in your apartment, so I wouldn't know which one to recommend. If you have the time to play with and care for a Chinchilla, totally go for that since it seems you want it just a bit more. They require more play time, more space, and more money to provide things like dust baths that Guinea Pigs don't need. If you don't know if you can get one, there are some awesome Guinea Pigs.

Might want to check with your landlord, I don't see why Chinchillas WOULDN'T be aloud, they're pretty much just like Guinea Pigs, but they're relatively unheard of, they're a new pet, so your landlord might be iffy with it.

They're both pretty compatible with cats, but it all depends on the pet and the cat.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Starburst. Offline
Skittles Minion.

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: Which one do you think? - January 20th 2012, 04:36 AM

Personally, I would recommend a chinchilla. I had one for the first 11 years of my life and I absolutely adored it. They're a bit more work, but they're definitely worth it. Just make sure you keep it in the cage when your cat is around. They have a tendency of running all over the place. If it's going to be in the cage a lot, I would recommend getting a cage with different levels, so it can still run around and play. VM/PM me if you have any other question about the adorable little guys!

HelpLINK Mentor|Social Networking Team|Articles Team
Skittlify

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Which one do you think? - January 20th 2012, 04:55 PM

I had a guinea pig younger. It seems better imo.... But idk how you'd work it wit your cat.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Which one do you think? - January 20th 2012, 04:56 PM

with* sorry

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: Which one do you think? - January 21st 2012, 09:38 AM

I used to keep guinea pigs with a cat. Guinea pigs are pretty easy to look after, just make sure you clean the cage regularly and feed them nice stuff.

Guinea pigs are better kept in pairs than on their own, they can get lonely if they don't get enough attention. A lonely guinea pig is quite a distressing sight, believe me. But if it's kept indoors it would probably get enough attention from you to keep it happy.

Also, with the cat, make sure you add extra bolts to the new animal's cage, whatever it is, because I've found that cats can learn to undo the basic fastenings that usually come with proper hutches.

^ A clever cat can open that, so I added metal bolts for added protection. But you may use an indoor cage, which usually have better fastenings anyway.

Keeping it in a room which the cat isn't allowed in while you're out might also help.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
YOLO ♥ Offline
RoBsesseDirectioner <3
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi (Mandy)
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Which one do you think? - January 21st 2012, 10:15 AM

Guinea pigs, if you ask me! They're easy to look after and sooo cute! :P

Closed Thread