TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hellkite Offline
Old Account
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine Targaryen

Cali King not very big... help? - March 2nd 2012, 07:43 PM

Hey guys! I've had a California Kingsnake for about 3-4 years now, and he's still not that big, I would say he's maybe 2.5 feet long and I don't really know how to do diameter but he can't be bigger than 3 inches in diameter. Also, he doesn't seem to shed very frequently...

I haven't been feeding him too much, as I know this is a species you're not supposed to overfeed. Usually, he eats every week to every two weeks...

Should I be feeding him more regularly? Am I doing something wrong? Or are they just slow growers?

In other respects, he's always been a pretty healthy snake.

Cool Story, bro.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Cali King not very big... help? - March 3rd 2012, 12:47 AM

What do you feed him, and what size? Most should be fed one or two adult mice every 5-7 days, though it's not uncommon for them to wait up to 2 weeks to feed again.

3-4 feet is the average for an adult. They should be 3 or 4 feet by 4 years old. So, your guy might be on the end of that time frame. If he is eating at at least one adult mouse every week or two and still acts normal, then I think he is fine.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hellkite Offline
Old Account
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine Targaryen

Re: Cali King not very big... help? - March 3rd 2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
What do you feed him, and what size? Most should be fed one or two adult mice every 5-7 days, though it's not uncommon for them to wait up to 2 weeks to feed again.

3-4 feet is the average for an adult. They should be 3 or 4 feet by 4 years old. So, your guy might be on the end of that time frame. If he is eating at at least one adult mouse every week or two and still acts normal, then I think he is fine.

Thanks, and yeah, he's feeding on adult mice...

Think I might bump the feeding time up to 5 days then.

Cool Story, bro.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dendroaspis Offline
Buddy

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cali King not very big... help? - March 3rd 2012, 04:18 AM

As was already stated I would say he is at a pretty decent size as long as he is eating adult mice atleast once a week, snakes don't normally shed that much in my experience, obviously in the beggining the shed more because they grow faster but it becomes less and less often. I would try not to worry too much Kings are fairly small snakes if you do think something is really wrong with him though I would recommend finding a vet around you that will see reptiles.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

Closed Thread