TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Despair.. Offline
Stay Cool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: India

SH turning bad - April 29th 2012, 09:05 PM

Hi my name is India and im 13. I've been self harming for 2 months now. About 2 weeks ago my teacher figured out, he told a few others and they all told me at once to stop. I did, for a few days. Then I went to see a counselor, that night I did it again. But this time its much worse, before I didnt bleed that much, now when I cut I bleed alot. I cut deeper and deeper each time, I dont know whats wron with me.

Last edited by Palmolive; April 29th 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Removing prefix
  Send a message via Skype™ to Despair.. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: SH turning bad - April 29th 2012, 09:16 PM

Hi there.

Firstly I'm glad you've come to us and that your school now know as well as you're getting support from a counselor. These are all positive steps.

Now, I wouldn't say anything is 'wrong' with you. I think maybe something might be bothering you or upsetting you and this is your way of dealing with that thing. Do you know of anything that could be causing you to feel upset? Have you had a lot for arguments with friends or in the family? Maybe a traumatic experience recently or in the past? Try and think really hard to see if there is a reason why you might be feeling this way, that it's causing you to have urges to hurt yourself.

As hard as it is when you have urges, you have control. The only person who can stop you from hurting yourself is yourself. You have control over your own actions and behavior. So when the urges get bad, distract yourself, do something nice or maybe cry and let it out in a different way. Try writing, reading, singing, watching a film, going for a run, doing work, anything to express yourself or distract yourself. I know it's hard but you can beat the urges and you are worth more than it.

I hope this helps. Take good care,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Despair.. Offline
Stay Cool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: India

Re: SH turning bad - April 29th 2012, 09:38 PM

I have other problems than just Self Harm, I think it might be of the bullying and mental abuse from my father. Those are probably the worst things that has happened to me yet..
  Send a message via Skype™ to Despair.. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: SH turning bad - April 30th 2012, 01:25 AM

Hey there,

Jessie said some really great things to you just now. I know that it may be difficult to do, but you can stop this behavior. Like Jessie said, using alternatives can be a big help when you are triggered to self harm because they give you something else to do with your time that doesn't involve self harm. The one thing you have to remember about self harm is that this is a vicious cycle and in the end it doesn't help you with anything. The problems keep coming back because in reality, you aren't solving them.

I know that this may be hard to do, but it may be a good idea if you talk to a professional about this, such as another guidance counselor or even a therapist. You don't have to go through this alone and having a support system around you, especially ones filled with unbiased listeners, can help. A therapist or guidance counselor can also give some really great suggestions on how to deal with the problems that you are going through without harming yourself.

As far as the bullying and abuse from your father, report it. Take a stand and show these people that you don't have to stand for this. Tell a trusted adult at your school everything about what is going on, and they should be able to take care of it.

I know that it may be hard, but please try to stay strong. You can do this.

-Dez

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread