TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Eater of Delicious Goods
Not a n00b

Name: Nikki

Doctors. - June 4th 2012, 02:30 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I am absolutely terrified.

I twisted my knee because I'm really, just that brilliant. We're *hopefully* getting insurance somewhere between Tuesday and the 15th and obviously, a doctor needs to look at this. I might even need surgery.

The problem is, my thighs are completely mutilated. We're talking 3 years of scars build up on my thighs, and my right leg (The twisted one, wouldn't ya know) Is the one with more scars.

My mom's freaking me out because she just saw them up close for the first time a few days ago. She's not helping a bit, the most she had to say about the scars was "Enough with the fucking cutting, bitch." She's telling me that when we go to a doctor and they see that I have cut, that they're going to send me to rehab. I'm terrified of this happening. Actually terrified. I don't want to go away, I don't want to leave where I am right now and a mental hospital isn't the place for me. Will the doctor or pediatrician or whoever the hell sees me send me away if they see I've cut before?

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BlaineG. Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Doctors. - June 4th 2012, 08:07 AM

Hello--

It depends if you have cut recently. If no, then they probably will not send you anywhere they may suggest outpatient counseling.

If you need to talk you can PM me.

-Blaine G.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Name: Lucy

Re: Doctors. - June 4th 2012, 08:22 AM

Do you cut now? If it's old scars, and you've got over SH, then agree with BlaineG, then they probably will not send you anywhere, but they may suggest outpatient counseling.
It'll be great, if you got some help. You deserve help.

If you need to talk, I'm here. Just PM me.

All the best,
Lucy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Doctors. - June 4th 2012, 10:26 PM

Hi there,

I doubt very much you would be admitted to hospital for scars that you have from self harm in the past. If you were cutting severly now, then possibly. But from what you have said, this is not longer a problem and therefore I can't see much of a reason for you to be admitted into hospital.

I hope this helps a little.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Doctors. - June 6th 2012, 12:36 AM

...ur mom is kinda mean.....just saying...
not that this helps anything really.
i have a mean mom too. she told me once to "grow up, or go to your fucking room and cut yourself up. youre just a bitch anyway"

the doctor part of this, well, if you've cut recently, then im not sure what theyll do. when i went to the doctor with the 40-cut-set on my arms, brand new, they didnt do much. so if theyre old, they will probably just suggest counceling, which may be good.

stay strong <3 pm or vm me if you would like to chat. im here for anyone <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Doctors. - June 6th 2012, 01:08 AM

Hey Nikki,

I doubt that they will make you go to a mental hospital.
It sounds to me like these scars are from old cuts so you shouldn't have to worry about them admitting you to inpatient. They, as has been previously said, most likely will refer you to a therapist to get help with the things that caused you to harm yourself.
I know it is scary when people find out and that their reactions may be very hurtful. The thing is, your mom didn't react the way she did because she was mad at you, she reacted how she did because she is worried for you and she is angry that you are hurt so much. When our parents get mad they just take it out in not the best way and over time we have to learn that and realize that. It is very difficult to think this way; I know from experience but with time you will understand more and more that your mom really does love you and does not want you doing this which is why she was saying what she said. Don't let her words worry you, go in there as comfortable as possible with the knowledge that you will be okay and that you do not have to discuss the cutting if you do not want to. While it would be nice of you to get help, if you are not ready or comfortable to discuss it with the doctor you should not be forced into it by anyone and you are not going to the doctors in regards to that anyways so if it is mentioned you can just say something about how (do not lie, if this is the case then say it) you used to cut but you no longer harm yourself. If you still harm yourself, you have two options: You can say yes you do still harm yourself and if you are asked if you want help you have the choice of either accepting the help and saying that you would like them to find you a therapist or saying that you appreciate that they want to help but you do not feel comfortable with going to talk to someone at this time.
The doctor at this point will probably try to convince you into getting help and you really need to think about the pros and cons of accepting or not accepting the offer. No one can choose this for you so no matter what happens, how you cope with things or how people try to persuade you ultimately this is your decision and going into therapy and talking with someone is not easy to do when you feel pressured to do it. You have to get the help when you want it not when someone else does because until you want it and utilize it you will get nowhere.
I hope my reply helps and I am really sorry that my post has gone on so long and that I may have somewhat gone off topic, I was not intending on it being so lengthy so I hope you do not mind.
If you ever need anything I am here quite a bit and willing to help whenever possible.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
The Eater of Delicious Goods
Not a n00b

Name: Nikki

Re: Doctors. - June 8th 2012, 02:55 AM

Thank you guys for all the kind advice and the help, I really appreciate it. I didn't specify it, there aren't any recent cuts on my thighs, they're just really bad. It's to the point where I can't even look at them myself, so I just worry what a doctor would think. I've heard so many differing opinions because I'm under 18, but doctor patient confidentiality, then that it's my mom's choice, then that it's mine. It's just confusing! Haha! Not enjoying doctors to begin with doesn't really help. I'll try to keep an open mind and we'll see what happens.

I know my mom has her moments, she had a rough childhood and my brother never had these problems so she doesn't know how to handle it and I honestly don't blame her. If I were in her shoes I wouldn't have a clue either. I really appreciate all the help, you guys are great (: I don't know where I'd be without these forms!

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Doctors. - June 8th 2012, 03:06 AM

You are really welcome and I'm glad we helped!
If you are over thirteen, things between your doctor and you stay between you and them in most cases unless you told them you are suicidal or you had serious cuts I do not think they would let your parents know.
That is how the law works in my state anyways maybe researching confidentiality laws in regards to self harm and age limits for FL would help with some clarification.
Maybe looking up some fact sheets for parents such as the sheets you can print here will help your mom understand better. If you Google "Facts sheets parents" you will get quite a list of them. When she finds out you can give them to her as a way to guide her in understanding and trying to help you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread