TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brooke.janicia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

im done - July 26th 2012, 03:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

im sick of this, im sick of sitting in my room every night and cutting some part of my body. ive had to buy 11 new bracelets just to cover the new cuts on my wrists. my hips are sore from the cuts, it hurts to wear shoes because of the ones on my feet. and the hardest thing is i have to hide it from my best friend, family and even my boyfriend because i dont want them to be disappointed in me. i dont want them leaving me, because they are the most important people in my life.
help me get rid of the cutting.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: im done - July 26th 2012, 03:53 PM

Hey there sweetie,
I know getting over SH can and will be very difficult. But I know you can do it.
I suggest finding some alternatives to help distract yourself. There's an alternatives thread somewhere on here, I just don't know where it is, and I'm sure somebody else will post it.
Anyways, getting over cutting is important, because as I'm sure you already know, it's not a healthy way to deal with emotions, or punish yourself, etc etc.
You can do this. I know you can beat this. <3
Stay strong.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: im done - July 26th 2012, 04:37 PM

Hey there,

I totally agree with Paula, Self harm isn't a healthy way of coping, and I'm really glad that you want to stop.

First of all, I think you should tell someone you trust, keeping it from the people who love you isn't helping and hiding behind a mask isn't making you feel any better. Having support and people there for you, makes everything so much easier. I know from experience, so I think you should really think about it. You can tell a family member, friend, teacher or a counselor. If you're nervous or scared, you can also write a letter.

I do not think your friends or your boyfriend would leave you, they're there to help you and be for you when you need them. If you feel like you can't trust you friends or your boyfriend about it, you don't have to tell them, but I do recommend telling someone about it. Even if it's not your friends.

I also recommend trying alternatives instead of self harming, like Paula suggested. Here's the list she was talking about: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ Just go through the list and try out a few you think might help, but don't get discouraged if the first few don't work, different things help different people, so just keep your chin up and keep trying!

You are really strong and you will get through this, just keep your chin up and keep trying. I hope this helped a bit. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me. I'd be happy to talk

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: im done - July 26th 2012, 04:59 PM

Hello there

Firstly, well done for reaching out to us here at Teenhelp. I know that doing so can be hard but you've made a really positive step in the right direction by doing so.

Self harm can be a very hard cycle to break but it also is possible to do so. You've already been sent a link to teenhelps list of alternatives to self harm and I want to encourage you to take a good look at that list and try things from there when you do have the urges and thoughts to hurt yourself. Its important for you to remember that not everything will help you. You are going to come across distractions which don't distract you and at the time feel pointless but its important to not let them stop you from trying more because there will also be ones that will help you in those moments. It might be good to keep a list of all of the ones which do help you as well so that when you get the urges, you can go straight to your own list knowing that those things have worked for you in the past.

Beating self harm is down to you. Don't get me wrong, people including us can try and help you and support you as much as we can but you're in control of your own actions and therefore the only person who can stop you from hurting yourself, is yourself. And this can be hard to get a grip on because I know in those moments when you want nothing more that to hurt yourself, you can feel out of control, but you are not. You are in control and its down to you to take yourself out of thar situation and distract yourself onto something else.

Do you have an paticular triggers that you are aware off? If you dont it might be good to keep a self harm diary. You can write the date, time, where you are, who yo are with, what you are doing and your thoughts and this way you can identyfy your triggers to prevent them in the future or to put something in place when you can't avoid them.

If there is anything making you feel low and you want to talk to us about it, know that we're always here for you and we'll try our best tp support you in any way that we possibly can.

I hope you're well,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread