TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cactus Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaitlyn

Infection? - August 5th 2012, 02:04 AM

So, its a small cut on my leg and its a little red and slightly swollen. I washed it and everything. Its a few days old now and I can get neosporin tomorrow. How can I stop it from spreading? What should I do? I can't tell anyone. No one can know

Sometimes people build up walls not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Infection? - August 5th 2012, 02:21 AM

Hey Kaitlyn.
Is it hot to the touch? If so, then yeah, it's probably infected. If not, it probably still is, just not as bad. You said you can get neosporin? That's great. I suggest washing it every time you use the bathroom (since it's on your thigh) and putting more neosporin on it. Especially at night. If you want to put some sort of a bandage over it, pick a time. Like, don't have it on all day and all night. Which ever one you prefer, I suggest day so it doesn't stick to your jeans or what not, then at night let it breathe and just have neosporin on it. If it is infected, depending on how deep the cut is, it probably won't spread.

Google is also a great place to research these things. Sorry this comment was dis-organized.
Hope I helped, and I hope it heals soon!
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Infection? - August 5th 2012, 05:33 PM

Hi there.

It might well be that your cut is infected. Just so you know, here are some signs of infections:
  • Fever, shaking, chillls etc
  • Confusion
  • Joint aches
  • Rapid pulse
  • Swelling
  • Redness
  • Pus
  • Pain

I know I've had cuts which have swelled up and been red but they weren't infected but there have been times where its been the same signs and I've had infections. We're not medical professionals and therefore we can not tell you whether you do or don't have an infection.

Trying to clean it yourself is brilliant but I suggest you see your doctor or nurse. This way if it is infected, you can get further treatment if needed such as a course of anti-biotics. Its important to know that you you don't need to hide whats going on for you. Your doctors would have seen it all before and they wont judge you.

If you want to talk to us about whats going on for, know that we're always here for you.

Keep on smiling, you can do this. Look after yourself
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread