TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gbabi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My name is Angel . And this is my story . - August 10th 2012, 08:59 PM

My name is Angel and I really need help . I am , relatively young , 14 at that , and I started cutting about , a week ago . I had thoughts of it a couple months ago , and found a blade that I thought could work if I ever decided to start Self-Harming , and put it somewhere that if was found wouldn't look weird . And that's what I did . Then about a week ago , things happened . It really triggered it . It made me feel alive . I told myself that would be the one and only time I would ever . Then my "best friend" abandonded me , no , I'm not gonna lie and make myself seem like I'm innocent , because I'm really not . I made a mistake , she left forever . I tried to make it work . It didn't . Sadly . And then she called me names that , I can't just brush off . Then I did it again . And again . And again . After that , I felt like dying . I saw no point to living . I really didn't . So I threw away my blade , and tried to move on . I still am , it's been four days . And maybe I could be recommended some coping skills , besides The Butterfly Project or Bracelet Project , or "To Write Love on her arms , none of those work . Thanks so much ,
-Angel

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: My name is Angel . And this is my story . - August 10th 2012, 09:31 PM

Hey there,

I am so sorry that some of the coping strategies you've tried weren't very helpful. Some things just work for different people and you have to explore your options.

First of all, I really recommend talking to someone you trust like a friend, family member, teacher or a counselor. I know it can be scary and it doesn't sound ideal, but it really helps to have someone you can talk about if you ever need to talk about anything. You don't have to fight self harm alone, let someone in and get some help.

Now as for coping you can try different things to keep yourself busy. Is there a hobby that you enjoy? Try doing that when you get the urge. I also recommend keeping track of what's happening with a journal or something, you can just write in it when you get triggered and figure out what made you want to self harm that way you can find out some ways to deal with that situation the next time something similar comes up.

Here's a list of alternatives you can look through as well:http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ Just try out a few you think might help, but don't get discouraged if the first few don't help, just keep trying until you do find one that helps!

I hope I helped a bit, and if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me. Good luck and take care!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: My name is Angel . And this is my story . - August 10th 2012, 10:35 PM

Hi Angel,

Welcome to TH and I hope we can help.

It is really great that early on you are realizing that this is not good and that you need to find other ways to deal with what is going on in your life. Having this realization and the determination to not hurt yourself are very important and great steps for you to be able to begin quitting SH.
The suggestions made and the alternatives thread that was linked to you by the previous poster is very useful and has a lot of suggestions in it for all kinds of moods. Not everything may work for you but try everything out. You cannot say something will help if you do not try it so going through most, if not all, of the list should be useful.
My favorite ways of distraction are writing, reading, listening to music and the fifteen minute rule which is described in the alternatives list.
Also another thing that helps me is being near people and interacting with them. You may be annoyed or frustrated and want to be alone by yourself but keeping yourself interacting or just with people really helps with wanting to SH.
Another thing is looking at the Self Harm Free thread.
This thread has posts from many users stating how long it's been since they self harmed and looking at them, at least for me, is inspiring because it is great to know that other people are concuring the habit and then when I post my own time it helps because I can keep track and meet goals I set for myself. Like if I set myself a goal of going one month without SH I can keep track every day and I will know when I reach my goal or if I have to start over.
Also don't beat yourself up if you cut again, quitting is a process and many people will tell you it is not easy and that it is with slip-ups because you are trying to break a habit you have formed and that takes a lot of work and effort.
The great thing for you about this though is that you are already seeking ways to stop after the first week so the habit of it isn't as strong as in someone that has been cutting for months or years. Reward yourself when you reach goals and tell yourself to keep trying when you slip-up because quitting is possible and life without SH is possible.
I hope this reply helps and good luck at quitting!! I know you are strong and can do this!!
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; August 10th 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Closed Thread