TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Samwise Offline
~Keep Smiling~
Not a n00b

Name: Samantha

Why is self harm bad? - August 18th 2012, 11:20 PM

I'm sure there are loads of other threads on this but I just don't understand why it's bad.

I scratch at my arms and pull on my hair. I haven't had suicidal thoughts in a long time and sometimes I cut but not enough to leave a scar or cause any permanent damage, so why is that bad?

Some Riot - Elbow

A friend of mine grows his very own brambles
They twist all around him 'til he can't move
Beautiful, quivering, chivalrous shambles
What is my friend trying to prove?

...I think when he's drinking he's drowning some riot
What is my friend trying to hide?

...And it's breaking my heart to pour like the rain
Brother of mine, don't run with those fuckers
When will my friend start singing again?
When will my friend start singing again?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MikeG Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why is self harm bad? - August 18th 2012, 11:55 PM

It's bad because you're putting your body in conditions that aren't normal. It isn't normal for one to pull out their own hair, because hair is used to protect your head from sunlight/headblows. Same as scratching. Skin is there to allow external eventrais be transmitted to the brain. By killing them, you're also destroying the communication between the outside world and your brain.

Self harm is bad in general. It doesn't matter if it's cutting, scratching, pulling hair out, etc... You're wasting time destroying your own body for a temporary "pleasure". You're better off trying to find something that you really like and doing it. Think long-term instead of short-term

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Why is self harm bad? - August 19th 2012, 01:32 AM

Do you feel completely satisfied with yourself after each time you SH? Purely satisfied. No regret, no negative feelings, none of that at all? Besides all of the medical and scientific reasons, I feel that, for me at least, SH leaves a lot of negative feelings behind. So even if you think it's not bad, are you sure you're 100% okay with doing it? It kind of leaves a negative imprint for me.. It's only temporary satisfaction.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Commiseration Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Why is self harm bad? - August 19th 2012, 04:15 AM

Self-harm is "bad" in the way that it is literally harming the self. Most who do harm themselves do so as a release or way to deal with negative feelings. So at the very basis of it, it's a negative habit.

In my opinion, self harm is kind of a way to hide, bury, or cover up feelings. People who self harm usually don't have a way or don't know of any other way to express negative feelings in a healthy manner. So they end up destroying themselves. Do you harm yourself because you're so full of happiness that you just have no way to let it out? It's doubtful. Self harm is normally associated with sadness, anger, regret, stress, etc. In other words "bad" feelings.

It's healthier to find ways to release these emotions that aren't going to harm you or anyone else in the process. Dealing with the issues that cause you to want to hurt yourself is much more productive. A lot of people, when they get caught in self harm, it's a progressive thing that keeps getting worse and worse. Without dealing with what the real issues are, this habit can get real serious real fast.

So while you may not think self harm is "bad", think about why you do it to yourself. Chances are it's related to negativity and that's never a good thing to have to deal with.

Take care,
Commiseration

-Let the Music Play-
"There's no way to explain why life is filled with so much pain. But do the flowers ever grow in the places it don't rain?"

"But the unfortunate truth is that, while being different from everyone else can be exciting at first, ultimately it can get a little lonely."

"The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no further."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Why is self harm bad? - August 19th 2012, 01:57 PM

I think self harm is bad because it is often a symptom of a bigger problem that doesn't get dealt with. For me, my SH is always bad when I'm dealing with bad depression or anxiety that I'm keeping all to myself and that's a lot to deal with on your own. It's really hard. Also, I just think that when we SH we're telling ourselves that it's okay to be in pain, physical or emotional. We're telling ourselves it's normal and it's okay to feel that way, even if it's just subconscious. That just allows us to perpetuate those feelings and may even tell others it's okay make us feel a certain way. If someone was using alcohol or drugs as a coping mechanism, you would see that as an indicator of a bigger problem and an unhealthy habit. I think self harm is similar. While SH is a psychological addiction and not a physical one, it's just as easy to get carried away and really hurt yourself.

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

Closed Thread