TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ALittleLost Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maddie

Unhappy Getting Urges... (triggering?) - August 23rd 2012, 08:10 PM

I haven't cut in about 2 months
And i promised a few close friends of mine that i wouldn't again
But lately i've been getting really strong urges to cut
i don't know what to do
Its getting harder and harder to resist
I don't know how much longer i can do this...

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise"
-Les Miserables

"All these thoughts locked inside, now you're the the first to know"
-"It ends tonight" All-American Rejects

"You built up a world of magic, because you're real life is tragic"
-"Brick by Boring Brick" Paramore

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Getting Urges... (triggering?) - August 24th 2012, 01:33 PM

Hi there Maggie.

You're nearly two months self harm free, that is amazing! You should be really proud of yourself. I know how hard it can be to beat the urges but you're doing it an you're beating this thing. Keep reminding yourself of being self harm free and how far you have come to remind yourself that you're stronger than it and that you can beat the urges to hurt yourself.

Do you know what triggers the urges to self harm? If you don't, it might be a good idea to try and find out what your triggers are. You can try keeping a 'log' and keep the date, time, where you are, who you're with, what you're doing, how you're feeling and whether you have any urges to try and identify the triggers. Then when you start to realise and understand your triggers, you can begin to avoid the triggers and keep yourself out of those situation or if that isn't possible, you can put things in place when you are in situation that normally trigger you to help you prevent the urges to hurt yourself.

I know this is really hard but you CAN beat it. You're stronger than these urges and you're in control of them. The only person who can stop you from hurting yourself is yourself. I know that can be hard but you can do it so believe in yourself. You're worth a hell of a lot more than the pain you would be inflicting upon yourself.

If you ever need to talk about anything, know that we are always here to help you. We'll listen to you and we'll support you as much as we can and give you the best advice that we can. You're not alone in this.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting Urges... (triggering?) - August 24th 2012, 03:21 PM

Jessie has a great idea. Writing down everything you can about the situation when you feel urges to self harm is a good way to figure out exactly what is triggering you, which might make it easier to resist. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the alternatives list http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/. Not all the alternatives will work for everyone, so don't give up if what you try doesn't work at first. Keep trying until you find something that helps. You can do this, and we're always here for you. Stay strong!

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

Closed Thread