TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shanielle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shanielle

She didn't understand at all - September 1st 2012, 05:44 PM

My mom found out a couple of weeks ago but it was only because someone else said it. She just went off on me and wouldn't even consider the idea of a therapist because she thinks it is a "spiritual" problem. Give me a break! She even got so mad at the suggestion she threatened to throw me out, and so now I'm kind of keeping it low key. She made me promise to not do it again but I broke it as soon as a made it and I don't try because I don't want to stop. She thinks it is something I can get over if I go to church enough and try hard enough but I know it is way more than that.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PurpleMoon Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Billie

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 1st 2012, 06:29 PM

Hey,
Sorry you mum doesnt understand

Is there anyone else you can talk to about it? Someone from church or school?
I know what its like to be made to promise not to do it. If you ever need to talk you can PM me anytime

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Memento mori - Remember you must die

Memento Vivere - Remember to live

Carpe diem - Seize the Day

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” -Andre Gide

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 1st 2012, 06:41 PM

I think she made you promise because she didn't know what to do. I've had someone tell me if I kill myself, they will too and it makes me feel even worse. Try to talk to someone else about this. Even if you made a promise, sometimes the demon inside us gets the best of us.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 1st 2012, 08:51 PM

Hi Shanielle,
I'm sorry to hear that your mom didn't react in a more supportive manner. You know, sometimes when people don't understand something or know how to fix it, they just try to ignore it or pretend that it will go away eventually. I think your mother is worried about you and just doesn't know how to give you the proper support. One thing you could try is printing off information about self harm/showing her a credible website/find a brochure/etc, and ask your mom to read through them. A lot of times you can find information on why people self harm, how they can get help, and how others can support them. This could help your mother find a more realistic way to help you out.

Another user mentioned this a couple of posts above, but is there anyone at your school or church that you can talk to about this? Guidance counsellors in schools are professionals and know how to go about supporting you. It's okay to ask for support...that's what they're there for! If you don't think you can start off approaching someone just yet, I would suggest calling a hotline as they can be helpful as well.

In the meantime, if you haven't already looked through The Alternatives To Self Harm thread I suggest you read through it. Not every suggestion will work for you but you just have to try them out and see if they're a good match for you.

I hope this helped a bit. You deserve to be happy and healthy.
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
agirltoremember Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 4th 2012, 08:21 AM

I'm sure your mother just didn't know what to do. Most people don't understand what goes through a person's mind when they SH. SH becomes addictive, You can't just quit an addiction cold turkey. She doesn't understand it. Of course she wants to help you though. Maybe you could talk to her about it. Ask her to be more suportive and explain how you're feeling.

It's hard when someone doesn't understand you. I've told ONE person in my life about my self harming. My boyfriend. He understood why i did it but, he basically made me stop.

If you don't want to quit for yourself there's no way you can recover. You can't recover FOR someone no matter how much they want you to.

Some people don't believe in therapists but, if you think it will help you should tell your mom it's what you want. I'm sure your mom will do anything it takes to help you. She loves and cares about you. Try to tell her what she can do for you. She can't help if you don't tell her how.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 5th 2012, 11:55 PM

Have you considered consulting a school psychologist?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
schmic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: She didn't understand at all - September 7th 2012, 08:34 AM

Shanielle,

I'm sorry to hear that she didn't react all to well. I was so scared of reacting the wrong way and possibly making it worse when my daughter told me.

Anyhow, there are many counselors who also have religious affiliations. This could be both good and bad, depending on where you are at in your own faith. Maybe you could ask you mom to find one who would have similar beliefs as you do? It's worth a try, right?

Closed Thread