TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lmk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12

does this count as cutting? - September 6th 2012, 03:21 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have recently started hurting myself. I use a safety pin to do it. Since I don't want anyone to find out, I usually just do small cuts. I have made myself bleed before, but sometimes I just make deep scratches, and it is nothing compared to the pictures of slashed up arms I see or the scars all over my friends arms and legs. So I am just curious, is what I do considered cutting if I don't even make myself bleed very much?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21

Re: does this count as cutting? - September 6th 2012, 03:36 AM

I suppose it would. but Self harm is self harm and cutting is cutting, no matter how you do it, whether a safety-pin, razor, knife etc etc.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: does this count as cutting? - September 7th 2012, 01:51 AM

Hey.

I think that it does count as cutting, but I also think that the real issue shouldn't be how you're hurting yourself, but why. What you're doing counts as self harm (click here for more information), so I think you should consider why you're feeling the need to hurt yourself, and what you can do to overcome the habit. Since you didn't actually ask for help in overcoming self harm, I'll refrain from offering too much advice here; but if you want some suggestions, feel free to PM me, reply to this thread, or start a new one.

I'll leave you with the list of alternatives, which can help you distract yourself when you feel triggered. I'll also give you a word of warning: self harm is not a competition. Don't feel like it's not serious just because you've seen people whose injuries are worse. You're deliberately hurting yourself, and whether or not it's as bad as those pictures you may have seen, it's still serious.

Take care, and stay strong. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, okay?

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
Closed Thread