TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chewy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I cut - September 6th 2012, 12:55 PM

Hey, I'm 12 and I cut. I can't stop anymore, but my parent have noticed... PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HIDE THE SCARS!!!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I cut - September 6th 2012, 04:04 PM

You can always wear long sleeves and pants. I don't know where you cut, so it's kind of difficult to say exactly what you could do, but there are also concealer for your scars (not cuts) and you can wear bracelets

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Storme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Storme

Re: I cut - September 8th 2012, 06:42 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry you feel the need to hurt yourself, but no matter what you think or what anyone says, you can stop, though by the sounds of things you don't feel ready yet. If you haven't already, please take a look at the amazing list of alternatives that's sticky'd at the top of the Self-harm board.

If you're looking for ways to cover up your scars, there's a great article under the Self-harm section of the articles (there's a link to the Articles page in the navigation at the top). I'd link to it, but I don't have enough posts to post links (if someone else could post the link, that's be great. xD).
It has some tips for covering up your scars and how to help them heal faster.

It might also help if you have an excuse or a story already thought up that you can use if anyone asks about your scars. But try to find someone you can confide in and tell the truth, having someone there to support you with this will help a lot.

If have any more questions or need someone to talk to, we're all here for you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Samwise Offline
~Keep Smiling~
Not a n00b

Name: Samantha

Re: I cut - September 8th 2012, 07:21 PM

Hey honey,

I'm sorry to hear that you cut yourself and that you feel the need to harm yourself.

Self harm is a terrible thing to do to your body. And type, hair pulling, scratching, cutting. Here's a link on alternatives for SH: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

I don't know where your cuts are but clothing is a way to cover them. Or bracelets if they're on your wrists.

The easiest way to cover them is to stop SHing.

Stay strong
-Sam

Some Riot - Elbow

A friend of mine grows his very own brambles
They twist all around him 'til he can't move
Beautiful, quivering, chivalrous shambles
What is my friend trying to prove?

...I think when he's drinking he's drowning some riot
What is my friend trying to hide?

...And it's breaking my heart to pour like the rain
Brother of mine, don't run with those fuckers
When will my friend start singing again?
When will my friend start singing again?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
milannn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Milan

Re: I cut - September 9th 2012, 10:34 PM

Hey I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. One of my best friends used to cut, and I know how tough it is to deal with. I know that you feel it's an addiction, and your only form of escape and control, but believe me, there are other ways. Like someone said earlier, the best way to hide scars is to stop self-harming. I know it seems impossible, but it really isn't. I helped my best friend do it, and I know you can do it too. I know it may seem as if they don't understand or that they will just make a big deal out of it, but the best thing to do is to tell your parents. They're probably just as scared as you are, but they will want to help you. I'd really like to help out more, so if you want to talk about this more, feel free to direct message me<3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losthope Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: I cut - September 10th 2012, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry that things are so hard for you right now. Please know that I am always here for you if you need to talk.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I cut - September 10th 2012, 06:08 PM

Hey my lovely,

I'm so sorry you're finding things tough right now. I hope I can help you out a little bit.

First of all, I want to tell you something: You CAN stop hurting yourself. Even though you feel like you need to right now, there are ways of fighting the urges. You can beat this. For example, distracting yourself from the thoughts in your head sometimes can be a good thing. If something bad happens, instead of hurting yourself over it, pick yourself back up and do something that makes you smile. You need to take care of yourself during tough times, not hurt yourself more. There's a big list of distractions and alternatives to self harm here, but how about making your own? What are things you like to do instead of self harm? Although it may seem like the answer now, hurting yourself doesn't change anything in your life. It makes you feel worse.

I know you probably aren't too happy about your parents finding out. But in all truth, your parents just want what is best for you. They want you to be happy and they're there to support and help you through rough times. If they've already noticed, it might be a good time to sit down and talk to them. Tell them what's making you hurt, and why you feel the need to hurt yourself. They aren't mind readers, but if you let them into your mind, they can help you out. If you don't feel like you can talk to them, how about writing a letter to them, or seeing a school counselor to talk about how you're feeling? I guess the main thing I'm trying to say is that it's important to let others help you. You deserve to be happy, and I want you to be. You'll get there eventually. Never, ever give up hope, okay?

As for covering up scars (not fresh cuts, you need to be very careful with those in case they get infected, there's some first aid advice here) you can buy special cover up cream, or lotions to help the scars heal and fade. You can also wear bracelets, or long sleeved shirts.

I hope this helps you my lovely. Stay strong! I'm always here if you want to talk to me about anything x

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread