TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sweetheart Helper<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jay

Unhappy Dont Know what to do about it. - September 13th 2012, 10:14 PM

I had been SH Free for 2months and 2 weeks it would have 3 weeks today but this whole week i cut again and bleed for sometime. And i have tried writing and what i feel down instead of doing SH and i have tried other stuff to but its not working because im depressed all the time and i don't know what else to do. Any Suggestions?

My wrist have cuts and scars, and they tell my story and who i am.

Last edited by Palmolive; September 15th 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Removing prefix
  Send a message via Skype™ to PleaseDontLetMeGo 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Dont Know what to do about it. - September 13th 2012, 11:37 PM

Hey Jordy,

You should look at your two months and two weeks as a huge accomplishment and do not be discouraged about stopping SH just because you have done it again. You have to remind yourself you are not perfect and try to remember that you will get past this and be able to live without SH.
I am really glad that you have tried out some alternatives. I am not sure if they were on TeenHelp's list of Alternatives however I encourage you to take a look at them and try those you haven't already. Some may look stupid or like they will not help but they really are helpful.
Another thing I think you should do is try to find an adult you can talk to or write a letter about this to that can get you professional help or guide you in learnign new ways of coping and dealing with stress. SH is not at all a good coping mechanism and, I am unsure of how long you did it before the two months, however it can really begin to takeover your life and that is not where you want to end up.
Try talking to your family, a teacher at school you can trust, the school's guidance counselor/nurse/social worker/head of year (depending on your location and school) Those people can help you figure out how to explain SH to your family and even organize a meeting to discuss it with them. They also are able to connect you to either free or low-cost mental health care which could be beneficial and maybe lessen any worries your parents have about finances if they do not have coverage of insurance or have very minimal coverage.
Hopefully I have helped with this post, I am sorry for the length, just I wanted to address a few things here.
Take care and send me a PM or VM if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Dont Know what to do about it. - September 15th 2012, 11:03 PM

Hi there. :-)

Going that amount of time without hurting yourself is honestly amazing. I know how hard it is to sometimes beat through one day but look at how far you had gone. I honestly think that that is amazing and incredible and something that you should be really proud of yourself for. You know, we all have a relapse at some point and its important that when we do, we don't view the relapse as a negative but turn it into a positive to help is beat through it. Remind yourself of how far you have come. Not the fact that you had a slip up and use it as motivation to help you move forward and to start beating the urges again.

It's good you have tried writing in that moment as well as using other alternatives. That proves to me that you really are trying to beat this and I think that is brilliant. You need to know that feeling or being depressed does not stop the distraction and alternatives from working. I mean, that's the whole point of them, so that when we do feel depressed, we can put distractions in place to help us feel better. Now, admittedly, not every single one out there is going to help you. Some may not ever help you where as some will always work and some will help sometimes, but not all the times. Now is the stage where you find out what helps you the most and what doesn't. It's all about trial and error. Don't give up on every single thing when one thing doesn't help you. Keep on trying new things.

And lastly, I don't know what is making you feel low or why you are struggling with the urges to hurt yourself, but I do want you to know that if you need to talk about anything, ever, that we're always here to listen to you ans we will always try our best to support you as much as we can. You're not alone in this.

Keep smiling and keep you chin up.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread