TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Help me please....it's my little brother - September 16th 2012, 08:09 PM

So this morning, I was helping my little brother with his hamster's tank because I had to do the measuring. I was sitting at my desk, writing the measurements when he came intp my room to sit. He wears shorts, but they are longer ones and when he sits they tend to slide up a little bit. When they slid up, I saw a deep cut across his thigh. From my expirence with self harm it looked self inflicted. When I asked him what happened, he jokingly said the cat did it. But it was the way he said it and how he seems to be hiding himself. He just re decorated his room and it was done all black and green. He spends all of his time in there watching tv. He's quiet, and he's the type where stuff rolls off of him. I know he used to get bullied at school because I used to pick him up after school to scare the bullies off. He's ten years old, and he knows about my self harm, suicide attempts and my eating disorder. What scares me is that I started when I was ten. I'm not sure whether he did this or not but I need your opinions. I feel like a horrible sister for setting this example, but it was the fact that I was suspended and he heard all the fights my parents and I had about it. I'm going to look out for more clues, but what should I look for? I mean it was only one cut but it's the fact that he did it himself, or what I assume he did himself because a cat can't scratch that deep. I'm not going to my parents with this right away, but I don't know but I need help with this one.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Help me please....it's my little brother - September 16th 2012, 09:13 PM

There's only one thing I can really think of, and it's that you need to have a serious chat with him - this particularly works if you don't want parents involved yet.

You need to convince him that he can trust you to tell if there's anything wrong (like the atmosphere here, at TH!), and ask him.
There may be an innocent excuse - but I understand that you need to know.
If you don't think he's telling the truth, you can try again, but naturally don't push it too much.

I hope it all works out alright.

One other thing - don't feel guilty yourself, whatever happened, it isn't your fault.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me please....it's my little brother - September 17th 2012, 07:02 AM

Hey there,

I want you to know that while your brother might have heard about some of these things from your experiences you cannot blame yourself. You were going through a hard time and had to find a way to cope and chose those methods and as hard as it is you are not responsible for any choices your brother makes. I had similar feelings in regard to my younger niece and worrying that she might start self harming but at the end of the day all you can do is be there to support your brother.

I also think that you should try talking to him about it and be upfront. Let him know that you are worried about the cut that you saw. If he comes up with another excuse or is adamant that the cat did it do not push the subject instead I would encourage you to watch for more cuts etc. But, if it gets to a point where you are extremely worried about him and you are unsure about what steps to take then you should turn the situation over to your parents. I know that might be hard to do but in the end it will be better to have your brother mad at you.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread