TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bonnie123 Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy Stopping - September 17th 2012, 08:23 PM

I've been self harming for two years, its just such a good stress release for me but i really want to stop because i know i'm just hurting myself more and more and the stress just comes back anyway has anyone got any advice which might help me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Stopping - September 18th 2012, 02:06 PM

Hey there,

Well done for deciding that you want to kick the habit! That's a really great first step and I wish you the best of luck with it.

There are many ways you can give up self harming, and a really great way is to find things to do in place of hurting yourself that help you cope with the stress you deal with. For example, get yourself some pillows and stack them into a pile and hit them with something. If you're not a great fan of something like that, perhaps you could express yourself in some other way. Do you like to draw? Or to write? Maybe when you get an urge you can resort to doing something like that and pour your feelings into something creative rather than destructive.

If you fancy having a look through a list of possible alternatives, try looking here at the one we have on TeenHelp. Not all of them will work for you, though, but don't let this put you off. Motivate yourself and keep going, eventually you'll find something useful and this might really help you give up SH for good. If not, don't worry about if you slip up every now and then. Keep trying and keep going at it and you will get somewhere.

Perhaps you could tell a friend or family member about this as well. Having somewhere to vent is a great thing and it might help to know that you have people to support and watch out for you. They can help you over come this and you might find you're a bit more successful. A lot of people prefer to have someone help them through it, and of course, you wont be doing it alone that way too!

Like I said, well done for deciding you want to do this. You can kick this and you can succeed, self harm is not a good way of dealing with emotion and it's best to shove the habit early than let it get dangerous. If you ever need any extra support or a bit of hep with anything at all, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to give you a hand. Stay strong, keep fighting it. You can beat this.

Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread