TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

I told my mum, what now? - September 18th 2012, 07:09 PM

Hi, I'm new here

Today I told my mum about my SHing, and she is being really supportive, though I really want her to leave it alone, and I want her to treat me the same as before. I don't know what to do, as I feel ashamed and I don't want to have to talk to her about it. I was going to suggest seeing the school guidance counselor and talking to her, but I'm not sure what my mum will say. I just feel really uncomfortable talking to her about, what should I do?

Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I told my mum, what now? - September 19th 2012, 05:06 AM

Hey there,

I think it is good that your mom is being supportive. I know that it is weird that she is being so open with you about it and there is a part of you that wants to go back to the old way but I think over time that can change. Also, I think it would be a great idea for you to talk to your mom about getting in to seeing a counselor. Lastly, I know that you feel ashamed but please know that there is nothing to be ashamed of we all have ways of coping with things and the fact is you should be proud of yourself for being able to come forward and tell your mom that you are struggling with this. Now that you have opened up to your mom you can be one step closer to getting to a better place and overcoming your self harm.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I told my mum, what now? - September 20th 2012, 02:15 AM

Hey there,

It is really great that your mom is being supportive through this entire process. I know that it can be tough when a parent openly shows how concerned they are about you and how much they love you, but know that she is definitely doing it because she cares and doesn't want to see you hurting. You don't have anything at all to be ashamed of, and it is great that you are able to talk to her about it if you need to.

I think that it is a great idea to start seeing counselor. They are good, unbiased listeners who will definitely be an added source of support for you. Talk to her about it and let her know that the counselor is not replacing her in any way and that you still will continue to talk to her when you need to, but they will be a source of added support for you. I'm sure she'll understand.

You should be very proud of yourself for coming out and saying that you self harm, and know that with time, effort, and support, you can kick self harm to the curb! Hang in there and stay strong!

Closed Thread