TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
aftershocks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: jess

Need help. - October 14th 2012, 11:55 PM

Hi. Um, I don't really know what to say, and I guess that's the point. See, I know I need help. I suspect I have anxiety and depression and because of both, my self-harm is getting worse as well. Basically, I feel like I'm going crazy.

Anyways, I really want to tell someone. I don't want to be like this anymore, but I have no idea who to tell. I don't want to upset my parents, I don't really have any friends that can help me. I'm thinking of telling my school counselor but I'm not sure about that either. I tried mentioning something about anxiety to her when I first saw her but I couldn't find the words to say. And I'm not even sure if she can help with that sort of thing, so that's another reason why I'm hesitant.

I don't know. All I know is that I'm tired of being scared and sad and lonely and that I need to get help for whatever's in my head.

DAY AFTER DAY, GIVE ME CLOUDS AND RAIN AND GRAY. ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Need help. - October 15th 2012, 12:05 AM

Hi Jess,

Talking to your school counselor would be a great step to take.
She can help you figure out how to explain the SH to your parents and be someone you can trust that will not tell people you do not want knowing about the SH that you do it. (This may not include your parents since school staff and faculty are mandated reporters in most places)
It can be really nervous bringing up SH or any other problems such as the anxiety you mentioned, to a counselor and this completely makes sense. They are people you do not know however look at it this way, they wouldn't have the job they have if they didn't want to help you so they are definitely willing to help and are people you can trust.
You can write down what you would like to talk to her about so that when you go to see her you have everything ready in a nice format, being organized really helps lessen nerves and having something to glance at for cues helps you stay on track. Also you can rite something and hand it to her so she can read it instead of you having to fully explain. (She may ask questions which is also okay, it will be her way of trying to understand you as best as possible.)
Hopefully you find someone to talk to and I am here if you ever need someone.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Need help. - October 15th 2012, 12:14 AM

Hey there.

I totally agree that talking to your school guidance counselor can be a really great help. They are good, unbiased listeners who can really help you cope with what is going on and offer support.

She won't tell anyone that you don't want to know, except, like Christina said, your parents, since in a lot of places they are mandatory reporters. However, she will let you know that that is what she was doing and even give you the option to be in the room with your parents to explain what's going on. She'll be there to support you through that step and explain a bit more about self harm so they understand. I know that your parents may be worried, but in the end it is for the best and they love you and care about you, so they will get you the help you need.

I know that when I told my guidance counselor about my self harm, I did it in the form of a letter where I explained everything that was going on and asked her to help me with it. Then, I asked her to set up a meeting with me, and when I got down there, I gave her the letter and sat there waiting for her to read it. Then we discussed. The letter option is a good idea because it helps you get everything out without nerves and interruptions getting in the way. She may want to ask you questions but they are to help you to the best of her ability.

It can be scary, but take a deep breath and tell yourself it is for the best. Reaching out can definitely be a huge step, and I hope that you can do it! I have confidence that you can.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
aftershocks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: jess

Re: Need help. - October 15th 2012, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll do the letter thing, that sounds like a really good idea.

DAY AFTER DAY, GIVE ME CLOUDS AND RAIN AND GRAY. ♥

Closed Thread