TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Exclamation What start's, never really finishes. - November 24th 2012, 12:50 AM

I have self-harmed since late July, 2011. I never thought that things would get so bad that i'd deal with them the way I have/did/do. I was really hoping that after the meetings I have had and the people I have seen, I would of been able to stop. So may things are going on nower days and it's just all to much. I had so much hope and faith in myself, so much pride when I stoped for 4 months. But thing's happend, and It all started again. What start's never really finishes. That's one thing I have had to come to terms with. I have tried so many of these coping mechanisms, but I can only try my hardest not to do it. People ask "what do you feel when you do it? and I suppose, it just makes me feel. Sometimes I feel so low to the extent when I just don't feel anything, I give up, I just can't be bothered. So when I self-harm, It just makes me feel..

Last edited by kissthestarsgoodnight; November 24th 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: It is not triggering.
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What start's, never really finishes. - November 24th 2012, 01:13 AM

Hey there,

One of the biggest reasons people turn to self harm is because it makes them feel something. However, you will not always need self harm in order to feel something. I think if you work on identifying your emotions you will be able to slowly start working on moving away from self harm. It will not be an easy thing to do but it is possible. I have found that blogging/keeping a journal have helped me to express my emotions and to slowly start identifying what emotions I am feeling. It might be beneficial if you started keeping a journal as well. It might not seem like something that works at first but the longer you do it the more you might see it working for you.

I also think that looking into counseling could be an extremely beneficial tool. I know that counseling is not anyone's favorite thing to do but in the end a counselor can help you figure out what you triggers are and help you come up with healthy ways to deal with those emotions.

Have you checked out Alternatives to Self Harmif not I think it would be a great idea for you to look at the list and try and find some alternatives that might work for you. If you find that they are not working don't give up on them instead continue pushing on. The more you use the alternatives the more likely your body will be to accepting them. Remember that you have been self harming for quite some time and that has been your main coping skill so developing new coping skills is not going to be easy. Overcoming self harm is hard work but it is not impossible.

Lastly, don't give up on yourself. I know that it can be discouraging when you have an urge or when you give into that urge and harm yourself but the best thing you can do is keep pushing forward. Never give up!

I really hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Re: What start's, never really finishes. - November 24th 2012, 01:24 AM

I do have a counselor actually, and yes she does help. But I find identifying my emotions extremely hard as I have emotional and behaviroul disorder. Thank you for the advide, and I may consider the journal idea
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
Closed Thread