TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Probs with cutting (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t114132-probs-cutting/)

vasioannou December 27th 2012 01:02 PM

Probs with cutting

Hey since I restarted cutting this Christmas Eve, I've noticed something strange... When I cut it really doesn't hurt and it won't stop bleeding........ What's going on?? Why's this happening??

Moyshi December 27th 2012 03:02 PM

Re: Probs with cutting

Hey there,
Cutting can lead to damaged nerve endings which could be the cause as to why you're not feeling much pain. Cuts that do not stop bleeding usually mean that they're very deep and you may need to seek medical help. I suggest reading through TeenHelp's First Aid Information thread, as it will tell you how to stop the bleeding and how to prevent an infection.

I'm also going to link you to the Alternatives to Self Harm thread, and I really recommend you take a look at it. From your post, I assume you were self harm free for a bit...I suggest looking at what healthy alternatives you were using before and continue to use them...as well as to add new strategies to help keep you self harm free. And don't be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling! We all need support sometimes, and you deserve to be happy and healthy. :)

Again, if you follow the standard first aid and your cut does not stop bleeding, please seek medical attention for it.

I hope this helped a little.
Take care. :]

vasioannou December 27th 2012 08:16 PM

Thank you for answering... I read the first aid info and the bleeding stopped.... Thnx for suggesting that... Also im a bit concerned about the damage you said... Is it serious? Should I be worried??

Validity December 27th 2012 09:35 PM

Yeah, it IS serious! To be blunt, and I hope you don't hate me for it, damaged nerve cells can lead to the loss of feeling in your arm. In rare or extreme cases it can lead to muscle weakness or death as well.

Take it easy or have a look at the alternatives sticky!

Jay.

vasioannou December 27th 2012 10:01 PM

I will...... I'll try... :/

WhoAmI? December 28th 2012 02:57 AM

It could be nerve damage, but it doesn't hurt when I self injure, either, it could just be the endorphins.

vasioannou December 28th 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoAmI? (Post 981931)
It could be nerve damage, but it doesn't hurt when I self injure, either, it could just be the endorphins.

that's a possibility right?

Goodbye_Lullaby December 28th 2012 02:13 PM

Well I suggest going to your doctor and explain the situation. Because like people said nerve damaged is serious and maybe they can help. And try and stop as well :)

DeletedAccount69 December 28th 2012 03:00 PM

Hey there,

There are a number of reasons why this could be occurring but the best person who can answer is your doctor. I know that when I first started cutting it hurt more and I was not going as deep however as time went by it started hurting less and I started cutting deeper which led to longer periods of bleeding.

I think you should definitely consider looking at the alternatives and try and work on overcoming the self harm because in the end that is the safest route to go. I think you should also try and work on figuring out what triggered you into wanting to start self harming in the first place. If you can work on figuring out what your triggers are you can work on resolving them and finding the proper coping skills to deal with them.

Have you ever considered looking into counseling? It might be a great place to go and talk to someone and have them listen to you. A counselor can help you work on finding out what your triggers are, help you find the proper coping skills and will give you a safe environment to go and talk in.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to VM/PM me.