TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Dash Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,614, Level: 11 Points: 6,614, Level: 11 Points: 6,614, Level: 11

Question Should Cutting Make Me Happy? - February 10th 2013, 05:02 PM

so everytime i SH myself i smile and it makes me feel so much bettter is this normal? I have a bad day or im really sad and then i come home and SH and i feel like im a brand new person is that normal?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17

Re: Should Cutting Make Me Happy? - February 10th 2013, 05:30 PM

Cutting releases endorphins which make you feel better, so this explains the happy feeling that you get after you cut. I would say that aspect is completely normal.

But cutting itself is not a good thing to do. It's only hurting you and making you solve your problems in an unhealthy way. Have you tried to get help for your cutting? If not, I really think that you should! Also, when you get urges, try to do other things that you enjoy doing instead of hurting yourself!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Average Joe

Points: 8,959, Level: 13 Points: 8,959, Level: 13 Points: 8,959, Level: 13

Re: Should Cutting Make Me Happy? - February 10th 2013, 10:22 PM

Hey there,

As Sammie has already said cutting releases endorphins in your brain which makes you feel better. I know that when most people self harm it makes them feel better so what you feel when you cut and after you cut are normal feelings for a person who self harms. It is, as already stated an unhealthy way of coping and can also be potentially dangerous. I'd suggest seeing somebody about it such as your GP or a Nurse. They may be able to find you some help and support from a therapist who can work with you on ways to cope with your feelings in a much healthier and better way and they should also help you explore how you feel too.

If you'd like to talk about anything at all then you are more than welcome to PM me.

Take care of yourself and stay safe,
Lex
Closed Thread