TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   The truth about self harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t119386-truth-about-self-harm/)

qzmp57 May 16th 2013 09:49 PM

The truth about self harm

I think one thing that really bothers me about self-harm is that everyone gets the wrong idea. Maybe I would be more willing to seek help and tell people if they weren't so quick to judge. Everyone thinks that cutting is for attention, stuff like that. Ever think that maybe the person is genuinely depressed? That they actually do hate themselves? If I were cutting for attention, I would slit my forehead, not conceal the cuts under bracelets, or decorate my upper thighs. Not convinced? Go to google right now(triggering) and search "Cutters are" and let it autofill. See how disgusting that is?
I wish that when people caught glimpses of your scars, instead of judging and assuming that you are just trying to get attention, they would go over and wrap their arms around you and tell you that they'll help you through it.

Beccaa May 16th 2013 10:58 PM

Re: The truth about self harm

i totally agree with this- mental illness as a whole suffers from a huge stigma. ultimately, i'm convinced that people don't want to see real suffering. sure, they stare at car accidents on the freeway but the second they see actual blood it's suddenly 'too far' and 'sick' and, worst yet, 'insane'. smoking cigarettes is just as damaging as cutting and (for the most part) socially acceptable.

there is no short term solution, education is the only way to make people begin to take the mentally ill seriously. it takes time, a lot of time.

this all sounds really frustrating for you, have you considered seeing a counselor?

hocus pocus May 16th 2013 11:12 PM

Yeah, it is disgusting. This world is cruel. My search came up with, "emo, weak, attention seekers, stupid." I definitely agree with you. The problem is, while most people who self-harm don't do it for attention, there is a vey tiny percentage that do. Hence the bad stigma not only for cutting, but for any mental illness.

You always have us here on TH :hug:

craz33me May 16th 2013 11:21 PM

Exactly. I understand completely. I don't get why people do that or say that it's just how people are. The good news is that you have all of us here! :hug:

DeletedAccount17 May 16th 2013 11:27 PM

Yeah, it definitely is bad. It upsets me when people call self-harmers "emo, stupid, attention-seeker" and make jokes like, "when I'm sad I cut myself... Another piece of cake". :(

Hopefully more people will start understanding better to help.