TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Dreams - June 14th 2013, 08:02 PM

This might be a bit of a strange one, but I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm stumped. I've always had pretty vivid dreams and when my mood gets bad or I'm stressed, they get worse. Recently (past couple of weeks) I've been having dreams when I either attempt suicide or self harm at least once a night, usually I wake up from these drenched in sweat, panicky and with huge urges to self harm. Currently, I am not particularly stressed about anything, my mood is generally okay and there's not anything that I'm worrying about, so I'm not sure why these dreams have gotten so bad in terms of frequency and severity. They are so realistic that a lot of the time I wake up thinking that the dreams are reality. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the dreams, and how to deal with the urges. I'm using a lot of alternatives and distractions, but sometimes the urges can last all day, and I can't be in that frame of mind for work. Help please?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Dreams - June 14th 2013, 08:51 PM

Dreams are considered to be an unresolved issue in our concious and waking life. The dreams you have may be because you have an unconcious or unresolved issue. A good thing to look up would be dream analysis. It may help you to interpret your dreams better and in turn will help you to understand what it is that has been unconciously troubling you and then once you've raised it to the surface and are aware of it, you can deal with it and then your nightmares will lessen.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Dreams - June 14th 2013, 10:13 PM

You could always try to do lucid dreaming. Basically, where you have an awareness of the fact that you are dreaming, and you sort of train yourself to take control of your dreams and then you change them. For instance, while having one of these dreams you might change it to where you use alternatives or go do something happy and carefree. I've never been successful at it myself, but you could read some articles about it and give it a shot.
I know how tough dreams like that are, so I hope that they stop soon--it definitely wears on you!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dreams - June 15th 2013, 03:54 AM

I have the same problem as you. I have always had extremely vivid dreams that scare me. I don't know why you have them or how to help you stop them (I can't even stop my own). But I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this. Sometimes it helps a little to know that somebody else is having a similar experience. Also if you take any medications you might want to look up any side affects or talk to your doctor. One of my medicines I used to be on caused my already bad dreams to get worse. It could be the case with you but idk I'm not a doctor. Oh but don't go off of any medicine without talking to your doctor first. That would be bad. I'm sorry that you are going through this. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me.

Best wishes!
~SM~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Dreams - June 19th 2013, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm seeing my psychiatrist in 2 days, so I'll ask him if my meds could be causing this. My mood has suddenly dropped over the last couple of days, which I'm hoping is related to the lack of decent sleep. My anxiety has increased as well and I'm having very strong urges to hurt myself. I'm using different distraction techniques and alternatives, but I'm finding it very difficult to cope and I think I'm going to self harm soon.

Closed Thread