TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Emileenicolee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Does anyone else do this? - July 1st 2013, 08:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I tagged triggering because I didn't want to take any chances.

So, I haven't cut in almost 2 years now. I'm really proud of the fact but I've also noticed other forms of self harm forming and I want to know if anyone else has issues with these.
Sometimes when I become upset I will take really hot showers, until my skin is red for hours. I usually don't realize that I'm even doing it until it starts to hurt.
I also do this thing where when I get angry, I punch myself, usually in the head. It's almost like a tantrum and it's been awhile since I've done it but it's obviously very embarrassing, although I've never done it in front of anyone. I know the safety precautions behind these things and I know how badly it can mess you up. But in the past, I don't know, I become very out of it and violent. Not towards other people, only towards myself and then when it's over it's really weird because it's like I can hardly remember what happens?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 1st 2013, 03:50 PM

Hi there, Emily!

It sounds like you could be replacing cutting by using other forms of self-harm, which are no less harmful than cutting or any other method. Personally, I have never developed another behaviour in place of one I've stopped, but there have been plenty of posts from people on here who went through something similar.

I think it might be a good idea to seek help for these behaviours, as they could be at risk of progressing into something more serious, so you should try and combat them now.

Take care!

~ Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 1st 2013, 04:10 PM

Hello,
Congrats on being self harm free for almost two years. You're experiences sound similar to mine. I have problems because so much anger and other emotions build up and i haven't properly learned to vent that without harming yet. Perhaps that could be why you have these issues. Hopefully you can try to find a better way to vent such emotions properly, it takes quite of bit of time to figure it all out. You can message me any time if you ever need to talk.
I hope you figure everything out

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 1st 2013, 07:16 PM

I have scratched myself in the past, but I suppose that falls along the same lines as cutting.

I agree with what the other users have suggested - I think you should talk to someone and try to stop harming yourself as soon as possible, before it gets to a point where it's extremely hard to stop.

You can do this! Stay strong. <3 I'm always around if you want to talk.

~Hailey

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#5 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Name: anathema

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 2nd 2013, 07:38 AM

[EDIT]I agree with the above posters; talk to someone, before this escalates. If you're strong enough to stop cutting, you're strong enough to do anything. Stay strong.

Last edited by Palmolive; July 14th 2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Removing self harm tips.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 9th 2013, 02:58 AM

I do the same. I take hot showers, until the water almost feels cold, if you understand what I mean. The water is so hot, that your body thinks that it freezing. [EDIT]

"Smiling is only a symptom of happiness and can be faked."

Last edited by Palmolive; July 14th 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Removing self harm tips
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
byuhgirl Offline
Esther
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esther

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 10th 2013, 09:41 AM

I have done the shower thing too [EDITED]....also hitting yourself in the head can lead to some not so good things, I know that sometimes i hit my legs, but never my head. However, self harm is in no one way good for you and just because you are not cutting does not mean you are not self harming because you are. I would try to find a healthier way to cope with your problems and believe me when I say i am far from perfect and am not so great at that either. Do your best though and I find it is really helpful to actually make a tally or find someone to keep you accountable. My boyfriend started to ask to see my cuts and it was so that I would self harm less because I did not want him to see that. It actually worked really well (for a little bit haha)

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; July 15th 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Removing self harm tips

(#8 (permalink)) Old
riceballs Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emma

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 13th 2013, 06:02 AM

Woah! Good to know someone else does the shower thing too.

i'm fine, but i'm just not happy.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 14th 2013, 12:57 PM

When I'm trying not to self harm, I do other things. [Edit]

Last edited by Palmolive; July 14th 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Removing self harm tips.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 14th 2013, 04:13 PM

Hi guys, just a quick reminder for responds to be made to give support to users, not to post methods of self harming behaviours!

Thank you.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 14th 2013, 09:03 PM

I used to take hot showers alot, I now have warm showers or cold showers, I actually find just having the water run over me for a short period of time helps me calm down without the need for the shower to be on a hot setting .

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
sempiternal Offline
reb
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: reb

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 15th 2013, 12:41 AM

I always do the shower thing.
  Send a message via Skype™ to sempiternal 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Does anyone else do this? - July 15th 2013, 01:36 PM

Hey there,

I think you should be proud of yourself for going two years without cutting. That is absolutely amazing.

Yes, in the past I have done some of the things you described because they were alternatives to cutting myself. I think the reason that these habits form is because we still need the sensation that self harm brings. The habits that you see forming might not bring the same exact sensation that cutting did but it gives you some type of feeling other than whatever you are feeling in that moment. So, if you are sad, angry etc you don't have to focus on that any longer because you can focus on the hot water running down the back.

I think that you can overcome these habits as well but it can take time. I struggled a lot with hitting myself which is something you said you do as well. I would get so mad at other people, situations or myself that I would end up hitting myself. I've started to learn to control this by stopping and counting to three and thinking about why I am angry. Doing this allows me to calm down and I end up not needing to hit myself. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and give yourself some time to calm down. This is the method that has worked for me but you need to find what works for you; you need to find a way to deal with your anger in a healthy way. It might be good to check out Alternatives to Self Harm to help you work on finding those healthy ways.

I think that using hot water can be a healthy alternative to self harm but if you are doing it to the point that your skin is red for hours you should probably try and work on minimizing it. Maybe instead of doing hot showers you could try doing cold showers that way you will still get a sensation but you won't be harming yourself.

Lastly, try and work on figuring out what triggers these things. You mentioned getting angry but what makes you angry? If you can work on figuring out what your triggers are you can work on trying to come up with some type of resolution to the trigger.

I really hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread