TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lastforever Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Stopped - July 16th 2013, 10:08 PM

I used to cut but now I realized I shouldn't and it does nothing. I still feel like I did to make me start though I still feel like I can't breathe..

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; July 16th 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Removing triggering prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Stopped - July 17th 2013, 12:05 AM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you have realized cutting does not help solve your problems. I think that will help you while you are trying to overcome the self harm. However, just because you have realized you don't need self harm doesn't mean that the problems that caused you to self harm to begin with are not still there. Self harm is an unhealthy tool people use to cope with stressful situations in their lives so even when people stop self harming those stressors still exist. The key thing for you to do is work on finding other, healthier, coping skills. Here is a link to the alternatives to self harm it would be a good idea to take a look at the list of things there and try and use them whenever you are feeling low or feeling the urge to harm yourself. It is important to remember that it will take time for your body to adjust to the alternatives because it has gotten so used to using self harm to cope but if you stick with the alternatives they can work.

Do you know what your stressors are? I think it is really important that you work on figuring out what things cause you to want to harm yourself. If you can work on doing that you can, hopefully, work on finding some type of resolution to those problems which can be really helpful when it comes to dealing with self harm. Something that can be really helpful when it comes to figuring out what your stressors are is writing. Start writing down your thoughts when you are feeling the urge to harm yourself and over time you might find that it helps you to identify some of the things that are triggering your urge to harm yourself.

Have you ever considered talking to someone about the way you are feeling? I know reaching out might be really hard but having support can be really beneficial. Would you consider talking to your parents, a teacher, your friends or another trusted individual about this? I also think that it would be a good idea to consider counseling because a counselor could help you work on figuring out your triggers, how to deal with them and it would be a safe environment to go and talk freely about anything that is going on in your life.

I know things are tough right now but you are on the right track because self harm does not help. You just have to keep your head high and remind yourself that you don't deserve the pain that self harm brings; you deserve to be loved and to love yourself.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread