TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Here We Go Again - July 17th 2013, 08:29 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay. Last post I had was about a week ago. Thing is, mum moaning at me more today, and it just made it worse. i ended up cutting again. I know I can cover it up with make-up but i didn't know what to do at the time... It's on my leg, so it's easily covered, just making sure I don't wear shorts until they've healed, which is easy to do. I feel like I need help, but I can't speak to my mum, because she'll yell at me more, which will lead to me doing it more... I don't want to speak to a doctor, and there's no one else I can speak to. I don't know any type of alternation... I need help BADLY!!!!!

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Here We Go Again - July 18th 2013, 04:26 AM

Hey there,

Self harm is definitely a hard thing to deal with but overcoming it is possible. I think it is a good thing that you are looking for ways to get help. I know right now it seems like you don't have options but I am sure that there are some options available to you.

It sounds like you and your mom have a tough relationship and I am sure that makes dealing with self harm rough. I think it would be a good idea if you could work on finding some positive coping skills to deal with your guys relationship. When you guys get into a fight try listening to music, drawing/coloring, going for a walk or scream into a pillow. I know it can be really frustrating to fight with a parent but you don't have to take that frustration on yourself. You can use the Alternatives to Self Harm to work on finding things you can do to work on finding things you can instead of harming yourself when you fight with your mom.

I know you don't want to confide in anyone about your self harm but I think you need to so you can work on finding some resources to work on getting to a better place. I think that while you and your mom have a tough relationship it might help to talk to her because maybe she would be willing to help you get into therapy to work on dealing with the self harm. Are there any other trusted adults in your life that you would feel comfortable talking to? I know that it is really hard to let people in on this but it is important that you do the things that you can to overcome the self harm.

Do you know what your triggers are? You said that fighting with your mom triggers you but what are other things? If you can work on figuring out what triggers you you can try and identify resolutions to those problems. Are they triggers that can be resolved completely or are they issues that you have to deal with by using coping skill such as the arguments you have with your mom.

Do you like to exercise? Exercise is a really great way to deal with urges, sadness and anxiety. You don't have to do intense exercise so maybe you could try to work a 30 minute walk into your daily routine. You might notice that walking helps you feel better all around.

Are there any friends that you could talk to about the things going on in your life? It could be a really good thing if you had some friends who you could confide in and who would offer you support. It is really important to have support while trying to overcome self harm and your friends might be a good way to find it.

I hope this helped and if you ever want to talk please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sydney1999 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Here We Go Again - July 30th 2013, 07:50 PM

I know it is hard to tell people you SH. do you have a close friend o relative that you can talk to about it?

Life goes on. People move on. It'll be okay.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Here We Go Again - July 31st 2013, 12:29 AM

Hey there! I'm sorry you feel the need to hurt yourself.

Jenna gave some great advice, so I'm just going to kind of add to what she said. Firstly, does your mom know about your self-harm? If so, you might want to let her know that arguing triggers you. If she doesn't I recommend you telling her. It might be hard, but from experience, telling your parents can be very helpful. As previously mentioned, the Alternatives thread is a great place to start! If you ever need a distraction or would like someone to talk to, feel free to message me

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread