TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Self-harm during panic attacks :( (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t121579-self-harm-during-panic-attacks/)

Doodle. July 17th 2013 08:04 PM

Self-harm during panic attacks :(

So, I had a panic attack earlier. I haven't had one in ages :( I find it REALLY hard to control myself during one so I will self-harm. I managed to bruise myself >.> I haven't self-harmed badly enough to make a bruise/actual cut for years (I normally just pinch myself a bit) :(

I\'m scared it\'ll happen again. I don\'t trust myself when I feel like that. How could I control myself during a panic attack?

-didn\'t know whether to put this here or in Anxiety-

iwouldkillyouforaklondike July 18th 2013 12:04 AM

Re: Self-harm during panic attacks :(

I have the same problem with having cutting during panic attacks, what I usually do is keep my hands busy. Such as cleaning or snuggling a pet, or stuffed animal. They give you unconditional love. I hope the snuggling animals helps a bit. Also when I am away from home, I always have my PSP or DS to distract me from the trigger of the attack. I really hope this helps you.

Lumos. July 18th 2013 06:00 PM

I\'ve had that problem a couple times when i had a panic attack. The best advice I have is distract yourself. Keep your hands busy as Julia said. Remember to keep breathing, and distract yourself.
Here\'s the alternatives sticky, there are quite a few good ones that have distracted me in the past.

Is there anyone who you trust and can call when you are having a panic attack? Someone who will just talk with you until the urge subsides maybe. Or maybe if this happens again call a hotline, they can help calm you down, and can really help.

I know its hard to control yourself when you have a panic attack, but i know you can do this. Stay strong. :hug:
Hope this helped. :)

Doodle. July 18th 2013 08:40 PM

Thank you guys :) I think a hotline may be a good idea. I've never actually called one before. I would feel a bit guilty about phoning one though :/ I just have panic attacks over inane things so I feel like they could be used for people going through more serious problems.

I'll re-read the alternatives thread now :) I haven't read it for a good while.

Doodle. July 18th 2013 08:40 PM

Thank you guys :) I think a hotline may be a good idea. I've never actually called one before. I would feel a bit guilty about phoning one though :/ I just have panic attacks over inane things so I feel like they could be used for people going through more serious problems.

I'll re-read the alternatives thread now :) I haven't read it for a good while.