TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Switzerland Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I can't donate because of scars? - July 18th 2013, 02:36 AM

So, I got denied the opportunity to donate plasma yesterday because of my self-inflicted scars. The lady who asked all the questions and whatnot said that I had to get this paper signed by a doctor/psychiatrist/psychologist that said I was psychologically stable enough to donate plasma.

1. I don't even understand why that is a factor. I'm not on meds or anything, and even if I were, they still allow you to donate on meds.
2. I didn't try to hide it or anything... When she asked if I had any self-inflicted scars, I nodded. She asked where, I showed her (just my arm, of course...). I wasn't being shady in any kind of way.
3. If I'd have felt that I should be donating because I might have been infected by a... I dunno... rusty knife or something, I'd have told her when she asked.

Anyways, the point of this is, I'd like to get that paper signed, and since I never actually go to the doctor or a therapist or anything, is there really any easy way to get that signed? My school does offer 12 free hours of counseling to students every semester, but I dunno... That means I couldn't donate till next summer. And I'm not sure I want the school to know my business. Never know who you can trust these days...

Also. I'm pissed cus this is stupid. In case you couldn't tell.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: I can't donate because of scars? - July 18th 2013, 03:01 AM

hey there,
I don't think it's stupid, I mean they might have a good reason for that. I'm sure they want people to donate blood if possible, since they work at a place that does it, you know?
It's great that you want to donate blood and giving is a great thing to do.
From reading this it seems to me that they care that you don't lose more blood. Think of it this way, when you donate blood you lose blood and then to SH on top of that? that would be a lot of blood.
So when they said (quoted):
"The lady who asked all the questions and whatnot said that I had to get this paper signed by a doctor/psychiatrist/psychologist that said I was psychologically stable enough to donate plasma."

when they say psychologically stable I think they mean that you're not SH anymore or at least in recovery.

I could be wrong, but that's just a thought....

I would think it also has to do with possibly having an infection from scars but to be honest that could just be tested couldn't it?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: I can't donate because of scars? - July 18th 2013, 03:52 AM

It may sound stupid and ridiculous but they have their reasons for this. They have no idea what you used to make those scars, if you got any sort of infection because of harming, they want to make sure you have enough blood in your system so that you do not faint or get extremely dizzy after donating and they probably have more reasons. Also they test the blood afterwards for any infections etc.
I do not see anything wrong with you asking your school to fill out the form, you should only do it if you are comfortable, however, this will only be between you, the person signing the form and the place you donate at.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I can't donate because of scars? - July 18th 2013, 04:04 AM

Hey there,

You could try talking to your school and see if they could help you fill out the paperwork. They might require that you participate in the some therapy so they can assess you before they will fill it out but if donating plasma is what you really want to do than it would be worth it.

If your school cannot help you with that you could also try talking to your general practitioner and explain your situation and see if they can help you out. They might be willing to fill out for you as well after talking to you are hearing everything you have to say.

Hope this helped and wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread