TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 01:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I was reading a lot of different threads today with people asking how to hide their scars.

This is for those people who either
a) are comfortable showing their scars now
or
b) Show them for their own reasons/ for work/school rules etc?

I used to ALWAYS wear sweatbands, sweaters, arm warmer things. ALL the time! Even in my high school cooking class

However, during the summer, i could NOT keep my scars covered. When I went to the beach, i wouldn't wear anything to cover them. When I was at home though, I would always have arm warmers on.

Then I went to college. I was in the culinary program, and they had STRICT rules for attire. My arm bands? couldn't wear them. Arm warmers? Nope. Sweater? No we had a uniform where we HAD to have our sleeves rolled up to the elbow.

After having to do that for a year, and being questioned, i got to a point where, although im uncomfortable if someone notices, I usually don't hide them, except from my dad.

Who else is like this? Who doesn't hide their scars (for the most part)? Why did you decide to stop hiding them?

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 01:29 AM

I only hide them from family, but that's really only fresh ones and I do that by putting them in locations that they can't see.
My arms only have a few faint scars, and for the most part they're either not noticed or people don't care since there are so few. I have no problems with showing those.
But, this summer I had the issue of going swimming with tons of scars on my thighs. At first I thought I was just going to try and find ways to avoid swimming because I was scared of people asking but then I was like, I really want to swim at least once or twice this summer, so I just did. Nobody asked, which is surprising because one of my aunt is really... Nosy. Also at prom and for my National Honor Society induction I was scared the dresses would ride up too far and show them. Only a few of my scars were showing and again nobody said anything. I do feel really uncomfortable when other people see them, but I'm not ashamed of having them, if that makes sense?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 01:31 AM

Hi Rachel!

Personally, for me, it depends on who it is, and where I am. My scars aren't on my arms so it's a little different for me. I usually try to wear shorts that are long enough but if they ride up I don't bother with it - most of my scars are faded. I'm better at hiding them when it's colder than in the summer. Around my mom, I don't really care anymore because it's been five years. With strangers, I don't even know them and it always seems easier for a stranger to see rather than someone you know. Any other kind of family or someone I don't want to know, I go out of my way to keep them hidden. I've been called attention seeking for showing them, though. Fresh cuts are usually kept hidden unless it's for medical issues. I'm glad you're at the point where you can start to show them. Your scars are not you, although they are a part of you. Keep fighting! You can do this!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thestorysofar- Offline
defend pop punk
Not a n00b

Name: Ally

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 01:47 AM

I hide mine all the time. I am not comfortable showing people at all. If someone does see them, I make excuses. It's been that way for a while. Me personally, I just don't want people asking. One of my 'friends' say my scars, and I told her everything. Since then, she's never looked at me the same. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable showing. I've always worn a bunch of bracelets.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 01:54 AM

My scars aren't very bad, they're only in one place and they're fairly faint, although I can notice them and one person has picked up on some others from ages ago once. But, I don't hide them anymore. Sometimes I get nervous that people might see them, but I don't wear bracelets like I used to, or long sleeves all the time. I just get on with it. I feel like since mine aren't too bad, people don't notice unless I give them reason to.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
IneedhelpwithSH Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 02:11 AM

I only hide my cuts from my family and teachers, don't care if anyone else sees

(#7 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 09:31 PM

I really didn't SH for long,about two months if that... & I didn't do everyday. So I don't really have many cuts.

But... I do get worried, I just wear bracelets,or longer shorts.

So far, no one has asked,but there usually never visible

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 5th 2013, 10:14 PM

I don't hide my scars anymore. I haven't cut in 2 years so they've faded loads, although they're still raised and noticeable if you look at my arm.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 01:49 AM

Most of my scars are on my thighs, which, unless I wear a short skirt or shorts, you can't actually see most of those. I have a few noticeable ones on my arms,which I actually don't have too much of a problem showing, unless it's around my family, or youth leaders (my family tries to be waaaaaay too involved in my life, and my youth leaders are really nosy).

I used to be really scared and uncomfortable showing them, but on a camp I was on, it got up to like 40 degrees Celsius, and when you're moshing in the praise pit when it's that hot, you either wear as little as possible (without being skanky) or you die. So I showed them, and as a result of that I became really good friends with one of the girls who noticed my scars and I found out she was in the same position as me.

However, most of the time, if I have new cuts (on my arm), I will try to hide them, unless it's believable to make up some story.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 04:03 AM

Well... here's my thing I guess.

I am TERRIFIED of anyone seeing my newer cuts when I have them, which is why I only really cut my waist and hips, and hide them there, and the only other place I would ever self harm anymore is my arms. But that's rare.

However, to answer your question, usually once they are at least healed over going into a scar phase, I am not as scared if people see, because by that time, the only people that should care, the ones I love, already know and have gotten over the fact that I am still not recovered. But for the first maybe month or so that I have the newer cut/healing cut on a place that is visible, I hide it with bracelets or a uniform jacket.

When it comes to strangers seeing them, I am a little more self conscious, but hey, I am pretty uncomfortable around most strangers anyways, for my body, my personality, my issues, lots of reasons already are effecting things. Scars are one thing, but whether or not they bring it up, that's when it bothers me. Usually though, they don't ask, so I don't have to hide them.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 04:24 AM

I am usually fine having scars showing. They're mostly on my legs, hips and stomach, so they are hidden most of the year, but when it's warm I'm fine with showing my legs despite the scars. I used to be paranoid about anyone seeing them (which is why I didn't really cut on my arms), but when it started getting warmer this spring, I decided to wear shorts. It was a big deal for me then, but now I'm usually fine showing scars. Occasionally I'll wear clothing that hides them just because I don't want to deal with seeing them for whatever reason, but usually I don't bother. When I was still self harming, I would make a point to cover fresh cuts, but now that's not an issue.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 04:55 PM

Seeing as mine have faded quite a lot I don't hide mine.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 06:41 PM

I have quite significant scarring on my left arm and I don't hide them. I used to be really self conscious and never left them uncovered, but as I have gotten older I'm not really bothered. I still would hide fresh cuts and I feel uncomfortable if someone I know catches me off guard and asks about them, but in general I'm pretty open about it and will answer questions honestly. I also have to roll my sleeves up for work because I work in the bakery, so hiding them there is not an option.

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 07:06 PM

Sometimes I don't feel like covering up and hiding. When I told my parents they bought be a bandage thingy to wear to hide which makes life easier but sometimes I get tired of wearing that too

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 09:41 PM

I do not have any on my arms (I cut in other places).
I have scars on my thighs but I wear jeans a majority of the time and I have a couple pairs of shorts that cover down to my knees.
For swimming, I just got a swim suit and I have shorts that I can put over it if I choose to.
I guess it wouldn't bother me to show them, I just want to hide them while swimming because I'm thinking that my little cousins (who are like five and six) will ask (they are always curious about things. I worry what their parents will say and I have no idea how I would respond.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#16 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 11:07 PM

The only noticeable ones I have are at the tops of my thighs which obviously aren't exposed very often. Like you I get uncomfortable when people notice (and have had a pre-prepared story ready for years) but the absolute treck of keeping them hidden for the rest of my life.... knowing me and my laziness, I just won't bother all the time.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 6th 2013, 11:21 PM

I used to hide them with bracelets or long sleeves. But the ones on my arms are faded enough that you won't see them unless you are looking for them. The ones on my legs however i do hide, so swimming is a very difficult thing for me. I wear shorts or get in the pool quick. If i have new cuts i make sure to hide them.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Re: Are you comfortable/do you show your scars? - August 7th 2013, 06:22 AM

I'm comfortable showing them to strangers out in public, and a few people I know, school and youth friends. But if its my family I hide them, either with long sleeves or with an armband

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Closed Thread