TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Himitsu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yuki

Question Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 06:18 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been struggling with the urge to SH for months and relapsed once or twice, but until recently I was doing well. Recently, to try to fight the urge, when I've wanted to SH, I take my knife and just drag it a little over the skin, just enough to leave pressure marks but no marks that last over a few seconds. I think it helps, but the temptation is horrible the whole time, but I think about it less after.
Is this a good alternative, or am I just making things worse?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 06:25 PM

personally I would not recommend that because it may seem to work but it's also giving you a step closer to actually doing it. To me it is unhealthy, but others may see it as neutral. Either way it is not a healthy coping mechanism because the mindset is similar to SHing. It can tempt you and you even said you relapsed.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 06:55 PM

Hiya!

I agree with Susan. I think it's too tempting to have your tool too close to you. Personally, when I tried stuff like that or when I had a tool "just in case" it made me relapse a lot quicker. Some alternatives work for some, and not for others. It's really finding what works for you. I know that some people can't use the rubber band because they end up making it worse. You should take a look at the alternatives thread, there's some good suggestions on there!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect View Post
Hiya!

I agree with Susan. I think it's too tempting to have your tool too close to you. Personally, when I tried stuff like that or when I had a tool "just in case" it made me relapse a lot quicker. Some alternatives work for some, and not for others. It's really finding what works for you. I know that some people can't use the rubber band because they end up making it worse. You should take a look at the alternatives thread, there's some good suggestions on there!
I guess it would make sense to include the link for the alternatives, but it's right when you click the self harm forum (it's a sticky article) and it would be the one of the top posts so you don't have to scroll down or anything
But anyway I'll give you the link because I want to make it easier for you
here

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 07:07 PM

I can never seem to link stuff the right way Anyway, hang in there! You can do it

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bem Offline
Hurricane eyes.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 9th 2013, 07:07 PM

Definitely check out the alternatives thread

I would say it's not the best alternative because you're so close to doing it, and it isn't working around it, more like tricking your mind into thinking you've done it kind of thing, but obviously, if it's a choice between self-harm and that, that every damn time, no question.

Stay strong c:

I'm perfectly normal; it's the rest of the world that's insane.

"He offered her the world."

"She said she had her own."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 10th 2013, 02:15 AM

Yeah, I'd say that wouldn't be the best alternative because even though it can start out with you not really doing anything, that can change in a second, especially when you're in the moment really struggling, or you can just have a mishap with it and accidentally end up cutting yourself anyway. Check out that alternatives thread and you'll get healthier, safer ways to cope, and some of them even give a sensation!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this a good/bad alternative? - August 10th 2013, 05:30 AM

Hey there,

As the others have stated I do not think that this is a healthy alternative. The fact is that you are still using a knife as an alternative and the temptation is still going to be there. I think that you should look at the Alternatives to Self Harm in order to try and overcome the urges. Sometimes it can feel as though the alternatives do not work but if you use them long enough your body can adjust to them.

Do you know what is triggering your urges? If you can work on identifying what triggers you urges to self harm you can work on trying to resolve those triggers and get to a better place. Something that might help you work on doing this is writing. Whenever you feel like you are going to harm yourself try writing things down and the more you do this the closer you might get to identify your urges.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about your self harm? I know this might be hard to do but if you could work on opening up to people you could have someone to go to when you feel like you are going to harm yourself. Having a support network can be really helpful when it comes to fighting the urges to self harm. Something else you might want to consider is looking into counseling. It might be hard to open up to a counselor at first but the longer you go the less difficult it can get.

I really hope that this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread