TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

How addictive is it? - August 11th 2013, 10:23 AM

Basically self-harm, how addictive is it actually? I've met people who have stopped, but then there's me, and like all addicts I keep needing more to satisfy it.

So how addictive does the average person find self-harm?

And how likely is someone who self-harms as a child or teenager to continue the behaviour into adulthood, as I have?

Questions, questions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Re: How addictive is it? - August 11th 2013, 12:20 PM

It did become an addiction for me. I went Weeks doing it even though I had no reason to, I did it cuz it became a habit. When self harming started making me feel worse rather than better, I decided to stop. It's my third month now and I've only relapsed once. I think it is different for each person due to the reason why they do it, ect. to stop you really need a kick in the back side. teens going into adulthood, now that's a 50 50 I think because it can go good, or drastically bad. I hope I've helped somehow.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: How addictive is it? - August 11th 2013, 01:39 PM

Although I'm in recovery, I do believe that I was addicted to self-harm. Reason being: I could be completely in an okay mood, and I'd still hurt myself in some way or another. I wanted to feel it.

I know adults who have struggled with self-harm through their childhood/adolescence and still struggle with it through their adulthood. I guess it just depends on the person.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: How addictive is it? - August 11th 2013, 01:47 PM

Exactly, it depends on the person.

I myself have not fully given it up, and I've been struggling for 2 years. Even when I "promised" people I would stop, I couldn't. I have 7 friends close to me that have all self harmed and recovered, though they all thought they were addicted too... I'm not sure how that happened, I don't really know if that's addiction if you can drop it one day because you're happy, but hey, I guess everyone's different? And then I know people who started when they were little and still struggle years and years later, you know? Its all about the urges, the more they happen, the more you'll hurt yourself, the stronger the urges become (USUALLY). Some people, on the other hand, self harm until sooner or later the feeling changes, and they don't like the feeling of self harm. I've seen that happen actually. Everyone's experience and feeling is different, so really, it can be a phase, to a full-life addiction that can't be cured by medicine or anything.

But there is hope, for everyone, no matter how long the battle is, you can win

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How addictive is it? - August 12th 2013, 01:30 PM

I agree with Tay. It definitely does depend on the person.

I've been doing it for five years now; I do consider myself pretty addicted. It gets to the point where I shake if I don't have my blade. I haven't given up completely; I try to stay clean for as long as I can or slowly wean myself off of it. It is a struggle and I think a lot of people question whether or not they want to let go.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How addictive is it? - August 12th 2013, 09:50 PM

I agree that it depends on the person. It's like any other addiction, sometimes people get hooked on their first or second try, other people don't. Then sometimes it takes a person longer to quit and others try and relapse or don't want to quit. Or, their feelings change and they don't feel as if they need to use the self harm anymore.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: How addictive is it? - August 13th 2013, 05:21 AM

I don't know how addictive it is to the "average" self-harmer. I don't believe there is such a thing. I know for me, it was very addictive, not just physically, but emotionally. It was my go-to coping skill, and it was so dangerous because I would not only use it to deal with everyone, but I would do it so extensively I would endanger my life at times, due to how the physical chemical reactions in my brain induced a dissociative state.

Thankfully I have been fully SH-free for a little over nine months ago, which was my one and only slip-up. Before that I hadn't SH-ed in fifteen months. So I've been a couple years now without doing it excessively and regularly.

And yes, it sometimes does carry into adulthood. I was still doing it at 21. It usually stops by the late twenties, as usually people develop other healthy coping skills, but there have been cases where people in their forties are still self-harming.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: How addictive is it? - August 13th 2013, 03:13 PM

I basically agree with what everyone else is saying- it depends on who you are and how well you are at self-control. However, most people, including myself find it pretty addicting and trying to stop is dependent upon your willingness, and how much effort you are willing to put in stopping. I don't really know the answer to your last question, but I'd say its possible that it does carry on to adulthood. But there are always ways to stop, no matter what age you are.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: How addictive is it? - August 14th 2013, 05:45 AM

I agree with everyone else.
For me, i've been doing it for around 3 or 4 years. I do find it is very addictive. When i was at my worse with it, i would SH every day or so, it didn't matter what mood I was in. Now i've learned to fight the urges, but sometimes i still find myself just giving in, because its addictive.
I think it can very easily carry on into adulthood if you let it. It's just a matter of fighting it all.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Unbroken. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Re: How addictive is it? - August 22nd 2013, 06:35 AM

I started because my friends were doing it but i was against it at first but realized it was a release of all my daily problems... well at least for me. its very addicting i knew it was wrong from the start so i stopped before i would get worse and summer was coming up so :/ everyone would find out

❤ Sarah ❤ Anne ❤

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: How addictive is it? - August 22nd 2013, 02:15 PM

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying. It pretty much depends on the person. I've been doing it for three years now and I know, for me, I would consider myself addicted, but I'm trying to stop before it gets even more addicting.

Member Since 1/15/2012

Closed Thread