TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
believeinme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question How do I tell me mom and my closest friend? - September 10th 2013, 09:10 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

hey guys! I'm new to TH but I need some advice. I've been dealing with self harm for roughly about 1 and a half years. At first it wasn't too bad. A few cuts here and there. But the past 5 months, I've been struggling a lot more. it seems that nearly every night i get urges, and usually give in. I decided that it's finally time to get some help. This sounds crazy, but I'm meeting one of the bands that saved my life in just about a week, and it's giving me hope to finally tell my mom and friend. But the problem is, i dont know how. My friend knew in the very beginning, but she thinks i stopped, but really it's just been getting worse. Both my mom and her know about my depression and anxiety and stuff, but it's still hard saying "hey, i hurt myself". my mom is very supportive and understanding (as she has the same illnesses) but since she gets bad and sometimes ends up in the hospital, i don't want this to make her bad again. plus, how do you even bring up the topic? thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: How do I tell me mom and my closest friend? - September 10th 2013, 06:48 PM

Hi there, first of all welcome to teenhelp You could have a look at the alternatives to self harm which could help you overcome the urges, they can be found here. If you want to tell your mum and friend think about how your going tell them, you could tell them face-to-face, email, text or write a letter and either leave it somewhere they'll find or give it to them. It will also be a good idea to think about when and where your going to tell them because you don't want to be interrupted or overheard.
Make sure you look after your wounds so they don't get infected. You can find first aid information here.
I'm always here if you want to talk

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do I tell me mom and my closest friend? - September 11th 2013, 01:14 AM

Hello, and to TH!

I think it's great that you're reaching out for help, this is an awesome step that is definitely worth it in the end. First, it's about deciding how you will tell your friend and your mom. You have a few options here: face to face, note, text, or email. Sometimes, notes are easier because you have a better thought process. But if you're going to tell them face to face, you might want to say something like, "This band saved my life when I was going through rough things. You know I'm depressed, but I have been hurting myself to cope with the pain." Your mom may seem angry or upset at first, but please remember that this might be a shock for her; she'll need a little time to absorb this information. She won't be mad at you, she'll be upset at the situation that you're in. That her child is feeling the need to cut. She's going to want to help you, we all want to help you Jenny mentioned the Alternatives list, and that's a great place to start! If you ever need anything, please message me

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread