TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jlkin251 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Addicted - September 15th 2013, 06:35 AM

I have overwhelming thoughts of suicide daily and the only way I can get rid of them is cutting. And when I don't have thoughts I have sudden urges to cut..It's like I'm addicted to it or something. Why can't I stop?!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Addicted - September 15th 2013, 10:32 PM

Hi there,

You are actually very right that self harm is an addiction. The thing with self harm is that you'll start to crave it even when you're not feeling low. Sometimes I start thinking about it whether I'm happy, calm, or whatever the case may be. Then, like a substance such as a drug, you may also crave more self harm to give you the same affect that you got before.

Instead, why not use an alternative to self harm? A list is located here. These are healthier, safer ways to cope that can help you break the addiction. Also, you won't have to worry about hiding these alternatives, and they're good since you won't have to risk any infections that cutting may give.

Do you know what it is that is triggering these suicidal thoughts? If you don't know, one way to find out is by keeping a journal. Even if you do know what's causing these thoughts, a journal is still a good way of expressing your emotions instead of self harming. In the journal, you can write down any time you have a suicidal thought, urge to self harm, or other negative thought. Note the date and time, where you were, what was happening, and how you felt. Later you can even write how you dealt. When you're calmer, you can look back and notice any patterns or events that may have caused this to happen that you can get advice on or try and solve.

I also recommend you speak to someone about this. It can help a lot to get things off your chest to someone who will listen. Also, they can help you cope in better ways. You can talk to friends, family friends, and family members. Or, you can talk to teachers, guidance counselors, school nurses, coaches, club advisers, or religious leaders. You can also speak to a doctor or therapist. Your voice deserves to be heard, so even if one person doesn't listen, keep trying. You deserve the help and there will always be someone to give it.

Keep your head held high, stay strong, and keep fighting. The fight is so worth it and you can break this addiction.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jlkin251 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted - September 16th 2013, 01:21 AM

Thanks, I've been waiting forever for a reply. I'll try the journal but I don't like thinking about times when I was sad, they just seem to make more sad and I give in to cutting to get rid of it...Even now I have an urge to cut.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
believeinme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted - September 21st 2013, 07:31 AM

Hi love!! I've dealt with self harm as well. In fact I still have urges. Sometimes people don't know why. Other times, our emotions pile on top of one another, and we just need release. It's difficult to stop, but there's always alternatives to self harm. I usually listen to music. I don't know what type of music you like, But some bands I listen to are Pierce the Veil and Of Mice and Men. They both have helped me through a lot. When ever I need to I just listen to them. Other times I write out my feelings, and then at the end of each week, I burn my poems, stories, diary entries, etc. in the fireplace. I hope this helped. I'm always here to help or just talk. Good luck hun!!

Closed Thread