TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Am I just oversensitive? - September 22nd 2013, 02:33 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Kay, so its been almost a month and a half- two months since I've last self harmed. I don't know how much longer that will last though. Lately I've just been feeling that i NEED to self harm to get by.

Anyways, I've noticed I have been getting extremely offended by people making self harm comments.

One of my teachers made a joke about self harm in a way. We were in graphics and he was like "Ok.. does anyone know what bleed is?" he paused and continued "bleed? and no, its not when you miss a deadline! ~makes wrist cutting motions~"

I was so shocked and... offended and triggered to an extent! I mean really!? WTH!

My friend said it wasn't that bad and I shouldn't have gotten as offended as I did. But like.. she hasn't self harmed before, how would she know why I got that offended?

I am still mad at him because of it. Am I overreacting to his "joke" or is it understandable that I got mad about it?

Also... Has anyone else seen the hallowe'en makeup 'slit wrists"? I find that to be in horrible taste... I mean really...

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
007TeenHelp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I just oversensitive? - September 22nd 2013, 03:05 AM

I've been in your situation before, about 2 months ago was my last time. I know when people say and do stuff like that it hurts. Trust me if you keep your what you're thinking in and don't tell anyone what you're thinking then they won't stop, and since they don't know that you have a problem with it they will just keep doing it. That's happened to me keeping it in just makes it worse and it will eat you up inside. Just tell him it will get a lot better once you do. It feels like lifting a 50 pound weight off of your chest. From there it can only get better.

If you ever need someone to talk to just pm me and I'll respond to you. A lot of the things that you've posted remind me of me so I can help.

Hope this makes things at least just a little easier for you.

Hey everyone. I'm new but I love to help I'll try to be here as much as I can!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Indigo. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I just oversensitive? - September 22nd 2013, 03:32 AM

I think it is completely understandable that you got mad. Serious things are not things to be joked about. That was a very rude, immature thing for a teacher to do. I think I would get mad, or at least triggered, if one of my teachers did this.
And I haven't seen that Halloween makeup before. I'm glad I haven't.
I don't understand why people are so rude about self harm. They act blunt and careless. They joke about it, make rude comments, and don't even try to understand what it's like.
I'm sorry your teacher did that and I hope you feel better

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Am I just oversensitive? - September 22nd 2013, 02:34 PM

You're not being over sensitive at all. I was in a similar position a few years back; it was quite upsetting. I've also seen that Halloween makeup and tattoos and such. People are quite ignorant and uneducated. Would you consider telling him that you struggle with SH and maybe ask him to stop? If he doesn't, you could probably bring it up with a higher authority. As someone else said, serious things like this should not be joked about.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Am I just oversensitive? - September 22nd 2013, 03:42 PM

Hi there, Rachael!

I personally don't think you're being oversensitive at all. I've had to cope with teachers making jokes about self-harm and depression before, and I personally find it very insensitive and ignorant of them to joke about such a thing. I've seen that sort of makeup before, too, and find it to be in rather poor taste.

I really think you should report this man to a higher authority in your school. What he said was unacceptable. Try not to let the jokes get to you, okay? Hang in there.

~ Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
Closed Thread