TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aintzane411 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Oliver

Quick question; non-emergency - October 3rd 2013, 05:35 AM

I was curious about something.

I've known for a while that even though I haven't harmed since New Year's, I still get the slight urge to late at night, even if I'm not upset. I've realized this pattern, and it doesn't worry me anymore, and I'm able to push it to the back of my head.

The main thing is, though, that my own arms are triggering me. Like, at night, going to bed, I lay on my side, with my arms in front of me, bent so that my hands are under my head. Whichever arm has its wrist facing up can sometimes trigger me endlessly until I contort it so that neither wrists are facing up.

Does anyone else ever get like this? I can't be the only one, right? Just seems kind of strange.
  Send a message via AIM to Aintzane411  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 3rd 2013, 06:21 AM

Yeah, my arms are quite triggering too. I'm learning about acceptance at the moment, so learning to accept things are the way they are, and that they don't have to be okay that way - I can still live with those things, and it doesn't have to change my behaviour. That's really important for me with having scars, but not self-harming (I'm at 7 weeks this time.).

It's okay to still find things triggering. That's likely to happen for the rest of your life, really, but just because something triggers an emotion or an urge doesn't mean you have to act on it - which obviously you're aware of, as you haven't been acting on your urges. Well done!

For me, getting used to seeing my arms has helped. I wear short sleeves deliberately, so that I can't avoid my arms. Being used to seeing my arms the way they are now helps a small amount. Sure, I don't really like how they are, and I do worry that people are judging me based on my scars, but ultimately, it's better for me to be out in the open.

You're not alone. Scars and even the process of watching any self-harm healing can be very triggering.

Also I think it's great that you know when you're most vulnerable to your urges, because then you can do things to decrease that vulnerability.
Awesome stuff, really.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always be yourself
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 3rd 2013, 08:56 PM

It is a good thing that you realize that your arms are triggering you because once you know what does, then you can make sure you do stuff to avoid it. That is good that you realize that and are honest about it. Good luck

What if I fall?
Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 3rd 2013, 11:18 PM

That happens to me too. I don't think it's strange And good job for staying self harm free for so long! That's amazing. Keep it up

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 4th 2013, 04:52 AM

Congrats on staying SH free for that long! It happens to me as well. Your scars show you what a fighter you truly are Hang in there <3

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 5th 2013, 02:33 AM

That happened to me when the scars on my arms were more prominent, they aren't as much now, but I get that with my thighs if I'm in a bathing suit/the shower/etc. I do what Jess does and sort of force myself to see them so I can get used to them and realize that this is all in the past, not a part of the future.

Good on you for not self harming since New Year's!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 5th 2013, 03:04 AM

Hey there,

My arms trigger me all the time too. It can be really hard to deal with because it isn't a trigger you can avoid completely. However, I have come up with a few ways to overcome it. Firstly, if I am trying to go to sleep I will put my arms under the covers and that seems to help. Secondly, rubbing lotion on my arms seems to help. I think some of it has to do with the sensation. Putting something cool and then massaging my arms. I am doing something healthy with my arms instead of just staring at them and letting myself get continually triggered. Sometimes I will also journal about why my arms are so triggering. And, lastly, I will talk to my dad about it which can be really helpful. He doesn't quite get it but it helps to get it out in the open.

I hope this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Quick question; non-emergency - October 5th 2013, 04:02 AM

I've gotten triggered by my own scars before. Usually this happens if I am already in a more vulnerable headspace, even just slightly vulnerable. I just get kind of sad looking at them, and it can make me feel pretty crappy about myself. Unfortunately, I can't just turn my arms over or anything; the scarring I have is extremely extensive. I just have to tell myself that it is all the past, and even though it is sad, I am not that person now, and I am in a happier place. Then the feeling usually passes.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
Closed Thread