TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rosiee123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: emilie

help xD - October 6th 2013, 05:50 PM

Hi,well i started self harming like 3/4 months ago and some are deep some aren't and i
I cant stop cutting.Will the marks be there for long?because its hard to cover from my parents and friends,does it matter if they're deep or not to stay there?or will they just remain there for a long time?
Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: help xD - October 6th 2013, 05:55 PM

The deeper they are, the longer they'll take to heal, and if you cut them again before they heal completely, they'll leave scars.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: help xD - October 6th 2013, 05:59 PM

Hey there!

It depends on how deep the cuts are, as well as your skin. If you want to try to get rid of your scars, a good idea to do is to keep them moisturized. That way, the cells start moving again. Have you thought about telling your parents that you self-harm?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: help xD - October 6th 2013, 09:19 PM

Hi there,

Like everyone else said, it depends on how deep the cuts are, as well as your own skin type. I noticed on my own body that location has played apart as well, certain areas of my body scar more easily than others. So, it may depend on your own skin type.

I have heard that vitamin E, bio-oil, or cocoa butter can help reduce the appearance of some of the scars, making them lighter. When you are out in the sun, I also heard that it would be a good idea to put sunscreen on those areas to protect them.

I am also going to give you this link to alternatives to self harm. These are healthier, safer ways to cope. That way, you won't have to worry about hiding scars from people or even infection, since these ways aren't harmful.

I also agree with Cassie, have you ever considered telling your parents? It may be easier to tell them that way, than for them to find out on their own through seeing an injury. If you'd like advice on how to tell them we certainly can give that to you.

-Dez

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always be yourself
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Re: help xD - October 6th 2013, 11:11 PM

I agree, if you tell your parents then you can control what they hear. Instead of them seeing and not understanding or assuming something.

What if I fall?
Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: help xD - October 7th 2013, 04:20 AM

Hey there,

The deeper the cuts are the longer it is going to take for the scars to heal. I have scars on my arms that have healed quite well because they were not that deep but I have scars that are taking quite longer to heal do to the depth of the wound. If you are worried about the length of time it is going to take to heal you might want to try putting cocoa butter lotion on the scars or applying something like maderma or bio oil. I have heard that these things can be helpful in healing scars and I have been using cocoa butter lotion since it is rather inexpensive.

Do you know what has been causing you to want to harm yourself? I think it is really important that you work on figuring out what is making you want to harm yourself so that you can work on trying to find some type of resolution to these problems. If you can work on figuring out your triggers you might be able to work on identifying coping skills that work better for each particular trigger. Something that might help you identify your triggers is writing in a journal and whenever you are feeling upset enough to cut you can take some time to journal instead.

Would you feel comfortable to reach out to your parents or another trusted adult about this? I know that can be hard to do but in the end they can help you work on getting help for this issue and work on getting to a better place. If you open up to an adult about this you could work on getting counseling for your self harm which could be really beneficial.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread